Spywareblaster 3.2 DOESNT recognize FireFox1.0

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Benzine, Dec 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benzine

Benzine Registered Member

[solved] Spywareblaster 3.2 DOESNT recognize FireFox1.0

Hello,

I read the Javacool's topic concerning Mozilla and Spywareblaster (previous versions)

I'm sorry to say mine are latest instead what Spyware blaster doesn't recognize Mozilla FF at all ("Mozilla not installed" !)

It worked very well previously but i managed to change my profile wich bugged (freezes)

Once Spywareblaster doesn't work with Mozilla. :eek: o_O

Please HELP

I forgot to tell the PC is clean (AV, Spybot beta 1.4; AdAware SE 1.05 an SWB well updated)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

I have a few questions for you, to hopefully help get to the bottom of the issue.

[Note: There are some issues with SpywareBlaster 3.2 detecting Mozilla, not Firefox, if a certain file is too large. But that shouldn't apply here.]

How did you go about changing your profile? (I assume you mean your Firefox profile and not your Windows user profile?)

Did you use the firefox.exe -profilemanager trick?

Can you do me a favor and check
    C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini
    and either post the contents here or, if you are uncomfortable doing that please e-mail it to bugreports@javacoolsoftware.com (it should only contain relative paths, so this shouldn't be too much of an issue - i.e. it shouldn't contain things like your username or account name in Windows).

Does the new profile freeze up, or did you change it because the old profile froze?

Also, what version of Windows are you running?

-Javacool

3. Benzine

Thanks Javacool

OK for the fews matters you need :

i've win 98 SE

I changed my FireFox profile (not windows's)
    with the command line F\\firefox\firefox.exe -p

I used the firefox.exe -profilemanager trick to manage my profiles

It worked well. I recreated themes and extensions with one more : tabbrowser preferences. The new profile seems not freeze. The old one did.

My profile.ini content is :
    [General]
    StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
    Name=Catherine M
    IsRelative=1
    Path=Profiles/q0r6j3au.Utilisateur par défaut 1
    Default=1

I assume name of the files are correctly reported but it is q0r6j3au.Utilisateur par defaut 1 and not défaut 1 in profiles.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2004
  4. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Ahah - that may be the issue.

I assume those garbled characters show up in the file also, and not just on the board software?

If it's this bulletin board's mistake, is there any sort of accent character over that "e"?

Thanks,

-Javacool

5. Benzine

Mistake's only on the "e" i think

The user profile in Profile Manager is Catherine M

The only profile remaining in C:\Windows\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles is q0r6j3au.Utilisateur par defaut 1
    Its name is without any cabalistic characters.

Th garbled characters are only in the profile.ini file : bad recopy or translation in FireFox configuration files ? And there's only this garbled "e" badly recopied in é.

I wonder (i don't know in fact) if i wouldn't have done Utilisateur par dé faut 1 when creating this new profile : i remember adding "_1" (not underscore but space iin fact) to the file which was mattered "Utilisateur par defaut" ; i don't remember if "e" was accentued or not : have i added an accent too ?

You think it could be the issue ??

How does it work by default ? System file names created in french with accents or not in Mozilla french version? English is even more practice sometimes !

6. Benzine

Another idea :

may i rename the path for the file :

Path=Profiles/q0r6j3au.Utilisateur par défaut 1

in

Path=Profiles/q0r6j3au.Utilisateur par defaut 1

then rename my profile for exemple Catherine M in Catherine-M

then verify the path is

Path=Profiles/q0r6j3au.Catherine-M

7. Benzine

So i attempted these manipulations :

None of them worked, SPW definitively blind with FF !

The garbled character are normal.... The french version of FF gives text with accentuation wich isn't took in compt by the ini files so the garbled characters are translation for accents !

Changing the name of the profile in the path invalidate FF launching : double-click on firefox icone ou firefox.exe gives only access to the profile manager wich says the profile is already in use; rename the profile by the manager doesn't add anything

Creating a new profile doesn't give a second life to SPW FF-recognize, even more not the recopy of the very first profile i had saved in a oldies repertory.

I re-boot the PC to be sure it is not a feature lauched by windows starting.

Character was a false solution.

What about the file you said it could be involved in this matter ?

Do you know any manipulation of FF configuration( by tools/advanced ou tools/settings) with could restore the detection of FF by SPW ?

Which components of FF are recognized as alternative browser ? There is a error message with SPW tellling it can't detect any profile, how and why ?

8. Benzine

If it can help i had made comparison within both of the profile repertories : new and old

The newer lacks a directory included in chrome : navigator.

Does it mean something for you ?

9. Benzine

Problem solved !

It went from one extension : spoofstick

Even though i had ever tried to create a new profile to have the SPW recognize back, I tried again to create a profile (in order to desinstall and reinstall).

I went in SPW a very last time and, surprise, FF recognized but disabled ! All other items enabled. I enabled once and it worked : FF again protected

I re-installed the extensions and themes in this ultimate profile : with spoofstick 1.03, all items of SPW disabled !

But i enabled once and it worked.

Updating spoofstick 1.03 to 1.04 disabled again Mozilla Firefox only. I enabled .

IT works again. I made immediatly a system snaphot.

My problem may have occured when a created the previous profile and installed all themes and extensions. Spoofstick's disabled SPW protection silently.

10. Benzine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.