Spywareblaster 3.1 Sending to liquidweb

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by dionisiog, Jun 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dionisiog

dionisiog Registered Member

In the past 24 hours I re-installed RealOne player Gold Espanol and Spywareblaster 3.1. Today I discovered that my Sygate Firewall was trying to crash, and when I shut it down and restarted it I discovered that in it's security logs it mentioned that Spywareblaster (program not opened) was mentioned three times as agressively trying to communicate with liquidweb.
    :( :( :( !!!!

Of course I was not happy and my first suspect is Real One Player which is notoriously impolite in it's 'communications' functions. I had thought that I had become rather 'expert in disabling any possible bugging properties of this annoying but unavoidable piece of software. After discovering this symptom I have gone into Real One, just to feel a bit more secure, and disabled all references to liquidweb. I have never used that item, and certainly never will after discovering such behavior taking place on my computer. Keep in mind that not one audio program was active on my computer at the time these symptoms were discovered, so one could say that any such communication was warranted, and certainly it was inappropriate for liquidweb to be gathering information about me when I had never utilized it's services at anytime..... hmmmm.... ?

OK.... But does anyone have any opinions as to why my Sygate Firewall was documenting this communcation as being sent from my freshly downloaded and installed version of Spywareblaster software? It reported not only an ingoing but outgoing communication attempt.

(P.S. Keep in mind that my copy was downloaded from an official download link provided for by Spywareblaster at Javcool on it's own site.)

Thanks in advance for your curiosity and feedback in reading these comments.

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey dionisiog,

I'm not to familar with Sygate so bear with me concerning my question. Does Sygate specify the file name that your saying is associated with SpywareBlaster ?

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

First up, LiquidWeb is simply the Hosting company where some Javacool servers are located. SpywareBlaster's built-in manual update process and it's auto-update program would each try to connect to the Javacool update server to see if any updates are available.

What would help in determining exactly what was happening is if you could post specific activity logs from your firewall. Also, as Bubba asked, can you tell us which Javacool program module was running at the time? (Did you have the main SpywareBlaster program open? Was the auto-update module, which does make connection attempts at system reboot time to look for new updates, was that running?)

It's really just a matter of clarifying which module and which activity in order to explain the situation.

4. dionisiog

dionisiog Registered Member

Thank you both for your comments/replies. Unfortunately I did not discover that I had received any responses until today, and because of that I have in the interim lost the data that would have answered your questions more specifically.
    I would suspect that sygate personal firewall identified the executive file attempting to send information to the web without my permission as spyblaster, a program I like very much and would not like to do without.
    I would also guess in knowing myself that I would not have taken the time to post in this forum unless I had discovered this event taking place without having the spyblaster 'window' opened to operate at the moment that this situation was discovered.
    I only utilize the manual update mode and that the automatic update mode is not supposed to be available to me at all as I am using the program in freeware mode.
    I sincerely hope that the spyblaster group is not conducting their business in this way. This is important because most of us, no matter how well protected have found simular activitives taking place on our computers because of unrelated hacking and virus wars in the past few months. It is very urgent at this moment that any writer of legitimate software be completely transparent in this regard... There is already enough user fatigue taking place to drive a lot of users from the net, and I see no reason why the internet should end up as a playground for a few hackers. There are too many significant possibilities here in terms of world communication and the sharing of cultures to simply turn a blind eye to the effects of these games.
    On the top of the list as usual goes Real Media who after prosecution goes merrily on it's way in terms of disrespectful software designs. There should be no tolerance for software that allows itself to be utilized as a server for other than the purposes that a user has specifically selected in advance.

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Well, unfortunately without any of those details there is nothing more we can do here to help explain this. Everything needed is in those details.

I have done detailed analysis of the connection requirements of SpywareBlaster in order to write firewall rules for it. I never found any secret attempts to connect without permission, so I can not guess at what you were actually seeing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.