spywareblaster 3.0 and kerio

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by innocent2, Mar 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. innocent2

innocent2 Guest

Hi,

Installed spywareblaster 3.0 today and noticed that i could update, without my firewall (kerio) making any objections.

Now I wonder, is spywareblaster able to avoid Kerio, I installed SB in a new directory, or what is wrong here?

please help me

innocent2

2. the mul

the mul Registered Member

I dont know what your problem is, but i have downloaded sbv3.0 and installed it no problem and npf blocked it straight away when i tried to update SB V3.0, so i had to put it in my allow list in npf.

The Mul

3. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi innocent2, and welcome to Wilders.

I do not know much about Kerio firewall, but since you pushed the update button in SpywareBlaster to connect to the internet for updates, it looks like your firewall allowed it through to retrieve the updates.

In my Sygate firewall I have all applications set to "Ask" even if I tell an application to update, Sygate still pops up a message asking me if I want to allow the application to connect to the internet.

This seems more like a firewall question rather than a specific application question (SpywareBlaster in this case). You might want to check how you have your firewall set up to handle applications when you give them permission to connect to the internet.

Maybe some of our members that use Kerio firewall might be able to help you better with the firewall's configurations.

Hope that helps,

snap

Innocent2, I have moved your thread here to this forum where it will receive better assistance. - snap

4. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

Which version of Kerio are you using as when I installed earlier, My Kerio popped up staright away and asked as it had bben changed

Just mkae sure that you haven't got Kerio set to permit or deny unknown

it should be set for ask me first

Right click the icon in the system tray and select administartion and see if the slider is in the middle position

if it is, then click on advanced, scroll down to the SB entry and remove it, then try to update, Kerioo should jump up straight away, if it doesn't then something else has disabled Kerio and we need to do a bit of investigations

5. innocent2

innocent2 Guest

think i found the answer, but i´m not 100% sure.

It looks like spywareblaster uses my proxy server (proxomitron) for connecting to the internet. That´s why it doesn´t need a separate entry in the firewall list of apps with permission to access the internet.

I can´t find the answer in spywareblaster documentation. The former version needed separate access and didn´t connect through proxomitron.

So if anyone knows the answer, i would be pleased.

thanks so far

innocent2

6. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

HI innocent.

More than likely that may be the answer, because I run Kerio 2.5.1 and it immediately popped up saying:

Spyware Blaster.exe has been replaced by another Program SpywareBlaster.exe, do you wish to allow changes.

I did, and working since.

Just thought to confirm to anyone else re Kerio's effectiveness. ;)

Cheers, TAS

7. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi inoocent2

That is the answer if you are using the default loopback/localhost rules. Any application configured to access the internet via a proxy like Proxo will do so on localhost and will not be seen as accessing the Internet. Kerio will only see Proxo accessing the Internet.

The following link from the sticky post discusses Kerio rules with links for specific rules relating to loopback/localhost when using proxies:
    BlitzenZeus Kerio v2.x Default Replacement Rules

Regards,

CrazyM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.