spyware

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Shotei, Jul 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shotei

Shotei Guest

Spywareblaster and many other software companys use MajorGeeks.com as a main download site. Please be aware that MajorGeeks will try to load at least 2 well known spyware files on your computer. Doubleclick and Avenue A.
    Always run at least 2 ad blocking applications.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

If possible could you please show me your documentation or information on this.

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

In the grand scheme of all spyware out there in the world, those are pretty light weight. They are simple tracking cookies that are easily blocked by either browser settings or by the many privacy tools available. If they get on a system they are very easy to delete unlike even moderate spyware which tries to dig in and hide on a system.

In fact, most of the anti-spyware tools you can download from that site will themselves take care of removing those cookies, if you ever get them in the first place, once you install and run them.

4. Shotei

Shotei Guest

All I know is that while trying to download AdAware from MajorGeeks.com Spybot S/D stop DoubleClick and Avenue A from accessing my computer. I just downloaded the latest version of Spywareblaster. First I tried MajorGeeks but when Doubleclick and Avenue A tried to load I went to another download site and had no problems. I posted this same message on MajorGeeks boards and within 2 days my message was taken down.

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Thank you for the info Shotei ;)

6. Shotei

Shotei Guest

I agree they are light weight problems. And thats exactly what they said at MajorGeeks. And I'll say the same thing to you as I said to them. Read your own words "tracking cookies" is their any other definition of spyware? I think that anything that tracks where you go on the internet, what pages you look at, what products you buy, and steals your e-mail address to send you junk e-mail deserves the name spyware.

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Major Geeks Privacy Policy

Privacy
    MajorGeeks.Com respects its readers rights to privacy.

MajorGeeks.Com occasionally collects information about its readers through polls or contest and giveaway registrations. The data collected is used to determine demographic information about the entire MajorGeeks.Com audience and to help target advertising.

MajorGeeks.Com does not sell, rent, lease or allow any third parties to view or use the information collected unless the reader consents through the registration process. MajorGeeks.Com does not maintain any mailing lists and does not send unsolicited emails.

MajorGeeks.Com takes reasonable measures to keep the information disclosed secure. However, MajorGeeks.Com assumes no responsibility for any breach of security to this data.

8. Shotei

Shotei Guest

Everyone please read the last sentance of this form letter from MajorGeeks.
    "MajorGeeks.Com takes reasonable measures to keep the information disclosed secure. However, MajorGeeks.Com assumes no responsibility for any breach of security to this data."
    To me this just says we do everything we have to do by law and we know whats going on but we're not taking responsibility for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.