Spyware Terminator ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by greyowl, Feb 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greyowl

greyowl Registered Member

I am wondering about Spyware Terminator as a useful addition.
    Has anyone had and any experience?

2. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Sorry never tried it but others here have and most likely will be here soon to offer help/advise.
    Just wanted to make shore you knew there are two of them one is legit and one is a Rogue.

3. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I have been using Spyware Terminator for over a year now. Its a great program. It has a real time shield that you can customize. You can have it set to block only threats in its data base, block threats in its data base and any unknown access or block everything. You also get HIPS which stands for Host Intrusion prevention system. This will block programs that are not in the safe program list from getting on your computer. You can turn this on or off if you like. You can also schedule a full system or quick time scan for when you want by day and time, it can also check for system updates before it scans for you. It can scan your cookies and favorites and delete any that could cause damage to your computer. This is a great free security program that runs light and does an amazing job. I don't feel safe without having this on my laptop. :)

4. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi greyowl

I run KIS7 & ProSecurity as my primary security aplications and so have not used Spyware Terminator (ST) in that role. However, I do use it for on demand malware scanning rather than a permanent barrier so I can only comment on its capabilities in that area, in which it does very well and has actually reported back on a couple of things that eluded KIS (a rare occurence but then no solution is 100%).

Based on what I have seen IMHO it seems to provide, for those that require it, a comprehensive set of protection via its various guards as well as a website checking function...and I would definatively recommend that you down load it and give it a trial.

:D

5. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hi,

Spyware Terminator is a nice AS. I like the guards. The HIPS is the same as the first anti executables of a few years ago. I doubt whether it is really effective. With default Windows FireWall, Antivir free, SpywareTerminator and ThreatFire you can organise a freeware security combo which is really strong and easy to use.

(tip, set TF to create a Restore Point before putting something in quarantaine)

6. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I am using it currently with AVG Pro AV and ThreatFire Pro, and it's running along fine. I was using Spy Sweeper with AVG and TF, but there was a slight slowdown on my 512MB RAM PC and some delay when I clicked to open up Firefox. With ST however, this doesn't happen. I know ST is not on par with SS as far as signatures, but I believe the Guards and HIPS it uses may make it close to the Real Time protection SS has. There will soon be another "Program" update soon, and it is said to have many new signatures and a few improvements. Also Crawler isn't pushing the Tool Bar and Web Security Guard quite as hard as before because of people in their forum complaining. For a free Antispyware solution it is very good, and I would use it over all of the paid programs except for Counter Spy and my favorite one, SuperAntiSpyware. I have been fortunate to receive AVG and TF for free, and if someone would only give me a free subscription to SAS yet, I'd be a happy camper. LOL. Oh and I use the Web security Guard occasionally and it seems ok.

7. dabruro

dabruro Registered Member

I tried Spyware Terminator twice recently and both times it caused a very noticeable slowdown of my computer. I doubt I'll try installing it a third time.

This was on XP Pro (sp2) with Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10.x (inclu. Client Firewall & Intrusion Prevention) on a ThinkPad T60p.

I've gone back to Windows Defender. I know Spyware Doctor (Google Pack version) is better than WD for on-demand, but I've read that SD is weak for real-time.

8. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

Note...........the new Spyware Terminator installs a backround service even if your only using on demand. I frankly don't like this feature and i dont like a program showing up red that I havent done a scan in a week. I will scan when i want to scan. SAS and Spybot dont bug you and dont install any uneeded services.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.