Spyware Terminator!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by rookieman, Sep 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

I ran this on my buddies comp and it found over 500 entries.His kids are into everything.Would this be considered a decent realtime scanner?

2. screamer

screamer Registered Member

I use this on my NAS box. Always comes up clean; save the odd cookie.
    I'd put K-9 Web Protection on anyones box who allow kids to use it. I put it on my 2 daughters boxes, 1 has kids. Any spyware scan I do now comes up clean. K-9 prevents access to spyware / malware sites.

Give it a shot: http://www.k9webprotection.com/

hth,

....screamer

3. rookieman

Hi Screamer,thanks for the reply.I'll suggest this program to my buddy.I never seen that many bugs before on a computer.

4. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

500 cookies? ST's detection rates are mediocre at best. Most people seem to disable the hips and clam av, but if it the on-demand suffers then real-time will do just the same. You may want to consider running additional on-demand tools to see what's not being detected. AVGAS, SAS, Counter Spy, a-squared, F-Secure online, and NOD32 online would be a good start.

Kids also need to be educated. Stick them on a limited account with a software restriction policy. :D

5. rookieman

He had 3 toolbars,he asked me to have a look at it for him because it was awfully slow.He's running Viruscan plus from macaffee.I'll check the items you mentioned.

6. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

500 items would suggest that the computer is either rather infected, or that the scan was interpreted incorrectly. The full scan report from a ST scan can contain a lot of warnings in red beside some of the entries that say "infection warning" (or words to that effect). Is that the case here?
    I have found ST's strengths to be its realtime protection and particularly the HIPS, but haven't installed the Clam component.
    The HIPS is not really appropriate for very inexperienced users, so probably not suitable for young kids to be responding to, or if they did it would probably be to allow whatever-it-is that's asking permission to run.
    The scan of ST has in the past been considered mediocre, but is improving all the time as new malware is found and added to the database. It's still a fairly young application. I agree with elite killer regarding having additional demand scanners, and would add to use ST's resident (and maybe HIPS) component.
    If you wanted to get a bit more info about the scan results (FPs, threats etc) you could try posting the scan log here:http://forum.spywareterminator.com/Default.aspx?g=topics&f=9

7. Gren

Gren Registered Member

The other thing to remember about ST scan is not all 'entries' are bad. It collates a list of all applications on the computer and then allows you to place them in a safe, bad or unknown list. I think this is for the real time or HIPS elements. Anyone?

Was this was the 500 entries were? There is another list (forget the name/format - I'm at work at the moment) which shows the bad or critical entries. Those are the ones to watch for.

Maybe someone with ST in front of them now can shed further light on this.

8. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Following a scan the application window appears as per the posted screenshot. (Sorry, no threats on this one.) The other tabs are, as appears, for safe software (which is obviously known and in the ST database), unknown software (the user can then send these, if found, to ST for categorization, and if desired move them to the safe sw list..note the majority of these are likely to be for safe sw not identified, but may also display malware executables that aren't in the definitions file) and the last one the scan report.
    The contents of those three tabs are displayed in an "explorer" style, one can click on the + symbol to enlarge the result, find all locations/paths, and a description of what the software is for.
    If there were 500 threats found under the "threats" tab, that's suggestive of a highly contaminated computer, even allowing for some FPs.

Attached Files:

9. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I have just noticed that there is a beta version available v.2.0.1.224, can it be d/l from web site or auto updater ?

10. Tokar

Tokar Registered Member

You can download it from the website...on the download page.

It fixes big issues (big because so many people use the features they pertain to) with the Scan Scheduler and ClamAV, though Im told this version has some problems with updating ClamAV...so tread lightly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.