Spyware Infection! Please help!

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Vantzos Kostas, Mar 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vantzos Kostas

Vantzos Kostas Registered Member

Microsoft's spyware! God help us all!

Recently my Outpostfirewall Pro 3.5 identified one spyware program in my system. It is installed in C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSCOMCTL.OCX and it is called Golden Eye. The publisher of this spyware program is MICROSOFT CORPORATION and it's purpose of existance is to track my system activity and send information directly to Microsoft Corporation , when I am connected to internet , without my approval. All these according to my Outpost Firewall Pro 3.5. This is a crime in my country , because it violates my personal data. Others have told me that Microsoft does such things , but I didn't believe them. Today I have verified it.Thank you very much Microsoft Corporation!

2. Upasaka

Upasaka Guest

Re: Microsoft's spyware! God help us all!

The file you refer to is an essential part of Windows XP!!

MSCOM is in System 32, they are Active X controls not spyware,these files would possibly be updated for Windows/Microsoft update.

Try doing a Google search for these files.

If it is not a false positive in Outpost then there may be spyware/adware that is targetting these files.

3. Vantzos Kostas

Apologize!

Forgive my ignorance Upasaka. It seems that you are right about this file. I' m deeply sorry Microsoft. Next time I' ll not jumb to conclusions without seraching first. My apologies!

4. Upasaka

Upasaka Guest

Re: Apologize!

It is so easy to get in this situation,I know I've done it in the past.

What I do now if I ever get anything flagged up like this is to Google search first,run Ad Aware and Spybot, then ask if anyone else has seen the problem.

If you check at the Outpost forum it may be that others have had this come up.

5. Vantzos Kostas

I recently discovered a goldeneye spyware program in my computer that monitors my system activity. I can not trace it anywhere. How can I trace and uninstall it? Please help!

6. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

7. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Did you tried already tried with Spybot Search&Destroy?

8. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

How did you discover it Vantzos?
    It could well be a false positive as I already experienced before. :doubt:

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Vantzos

I merged your new thread with the other thread you had going on this topic.

10. Vantzos Kostas

The antispyware of outpost firewall pro 3.5 trace it. Spybot search and destroy and adware Se do not report anything. It seems to me that I must get into the registry to see , if outpost firewall is right about golden eye.

11. Vantzos Kostas

I' ve also noticed that my PC is slowing down. I do not know if golden eye , if it really exists , has something to do with this.
    Bets Regards to all!

12. FirePost

FirePost Registered Member

Update your Outpost firewall Anti-spyware. (Tools->Check for Spyware Base Updates) This was a false positive which today's release fixed.

13. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Re: Microsoft's spyware! God help us all!

Outpost identified this same file on start-up yesterday. I went to the files location and scanded it WITH outposts own spyware scan. It came-up clean, so I figured it must be a FP. I wasn't about to delete a system file on just one scans say so.

14. Vantzos Kostas

Thank you guys. I updated my outpost antispyware and and I scanned the files that supposed to be infected with Golden eye. It didn't appear the same message of infection. It was a false alarm. Thanks again for your help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.