Spyware Help Pease!!

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Depth Charge, Nov 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Depth Charge

Depth Charge Registered Member

I have downloaded "Spybot" and "Spywareblaster" but still have spyware that refuses to go away for some reason.
    The little critters are... Mediaplex & DSO Exploit.
    I would be very grateful for any help.
    Thanks in advance! :)

2. scott lang

scott lang Registered Member

the dso exploit will keep coming back in spybot unless you get the 1.3.1 TX ver. but recently i had to reinstall 1.3 spybot and run all the updates without installing 1.3.1TX overtop and i get no more dso exploits. so maybe they have fixed this with a update i got the other day when reinstalling. you also need to get adware SE 1.05 installed too. its free as well. with all three prgs it will cut down most if not all of the junk stuff.

3. mccarob

mccarob Registered Member

Depth Charge,

It is a known issue with Spybot Search and Destory that the DSO exploit does not go away after the removal. So you will simply have to ignore it.

Mediaplex is a type I haven't had the privilage to see yet, does Spybot try to remove it on re-boot and just not suceed?

I will agree Scott Lange. Spybot Search and Destroy, Ad-Aware SE Personal edition working together probably do the best job at cleaning up your system. SpywareBuster should really help protect you from getting the spyware a second time.

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Depth Charge....Welcome to Wilders [​IMG]

The other good folks have you squared away as far as DSO Exploits....so that leaves Mediaplex. When Spybot or your other adware\spyware cleaning program flags Mediaplex....is it labeling it as a tracking cookie ?

If so....I suggest you consider enabling SpywareBlasters spyware/tracking cookie feature....which is part of the Internet Explorer Protection. That should disable Mediaplex cookies from entering your system.

5. Depth Charge

Depth Charge Registered Member

Thanks for the welcome Bubba and the advice people.
    It sounds a little complex for a beginner like me and a little daunting, but
    i will give it a whirl.
    My pc doesn't let me re-boot anymore after a scan but it did on the initial scan when i first installed it.
    There seems to be a lot of viruses around at the mo as Norton is picking
    up around five a day.
    Should i download a firewall aswell? say "Zonealarms" or something?
    After the scan it says the spyware has been erased, but when i re-check moments later, there they are again smiling at me.
    Many Thanks for your help!

6. mccarob

mccarob Registered Member

If Norton is complaining about viruses, one of the first things I would do is reboot into safemode and do a full system scan (make sure your virus def's are up to date first).

To get into safe mode all you need to do is tap the F8 key after the initial splash screen (For example, if you owned a Gateway, after the Gateway logo goes away, start tapping F:cool:. Then you will get a black screen with white letter giving you opitions. Just choose safe mode (if you are using Windows XP, there is no need to select Safe Mode with networking or anything like that).

Once you are in, just start up Norton (it will not start up auto. in safe mode). And do a scan. You can also try to run Spybot & Ad-Aware in safe mode. Sometimes being in safe mode will yield better removal results (in paticular with Ad-Aware).

Good Luck

7. scott lang

scott lang Registered Member

in safe mode i would also disable system restore as the probs might be saved in there as well and turning it off and then running your scans will get rid of it. bubbas right, safe mode usually will find stuff on scans it wont in normal mode. and jus out of curiousity, are you running nortons firewall or windows firewall? if you dont have one running, thats your problem your getting those all the time. you need 1 firewall running. i use my nis2005 firewall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.