Spyware guard

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by ellison64, Oct 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Hi..
    Just installed spyware guard (latest version /updates etc) and thought id test it by downloading /installing ucmore toolbar.I was a bit disappointed that spywareguard did nothing to stop the download or installation of the ucmore toolbar.
    Is spyware guard any good?.I assume that ucmore would be included in its detections.
    Tia
    me

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

If you tried to install the UCmore toolbar via the ucmore website, it most likely installed via an ActiveX control. In this case, SpywareBlaster should prevent it from installing (SpywareGuard covers executables with its real-time scanning, SpywareBlaster doesn't have to be run in the background and prevents the installation of ActiveX-based spyware). I should add, however, that it seems as though UCmore has just recently released a new version of their program, so SpywareBlaster doesn't currently block the latest variant (the next database update for SpywareBlaster, due out very soon, will).

Best regards,

-Javacool

3. ellison64

thanks
    i did allow using active x (which i have set to prompt),and downloaded from the site.The defenitions date is 30/8/03 (according to the version i have installed) which seems quite old,but apparently is the most recent update.I know that spyware guard is free/donationware but is spyware guard going to be updated more regularly?,as otherwise it just seems to be not worth running it.
    Tia
    me

4. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

SpywareGuard's heuristic/generic detection of threats (with its real-time scanning) enables the program to detect new threats without the need for new definitions, in many cases.

The Browser Hijacking Protection doesn't need any definitions at all - it is full-featured protection against the changes browser hijackers may try to make to your browser.

There is an update coming (some problems were experienced with the update server earlier, but they seem to be cleared up). Check for it soon. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

5. ellison64

Thank you for clarification....of heuristic rather than defenition approach.I will try it further as it does use a small amount of resources which is important on my os.
    Thanks again
    me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.