Spyware Guard or Winpatrol?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Tom772, Aug 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom772

Tom772 Guest

Hey,

Ive been researching both these programs and i would like to install one or the other, but i feel they are very similar IMO, but i would really like to hear from users at wilders?

Thank you for any replys,

Tom

2. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Tom,

Have a look, better yet print the following:

http://www.dozleng.com/updates/index.php?pg=redundant

This will compare features for the following: WinPatrol, M$AS, SpyBot, SpywareGuard, & SpywareBlaster.

Notice how with M$AS & SG you cover all categories. Also SG you get heuristic application, you need Scotty+ to get heuristic action. I would try to avoid having two applications protectice the same process. For example only one program should protect the host file.

For my money (no pun intended) I use M$AS & SG! I think Javacool is so cool I've donated $ to them. I've als tried & removed Scotty. Scottie is a good program, but M$AS + SG does so much more.

regards
    rico

3. Tom772

Tom772 Guest

Rico, thanx for your help> theres seems to be a problem with the link!! T;)

4. Rico

Rico Registered Member

5. samehere

samehere Guest

Yeah I can't get to the page either here's the message I get when clicking on the link provided by Rico.

There appears to be an error with the Calendar of Updates database.

We are aware of the issue and are working to restore the database connection.

You can try to refresh the page by clicking here.

The Error Returned has been recorded and will be checked shortly.

We apologise for any inconvenience

6. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

The answer to your question, Tom, probably depends on what "other" security products you have running in real-time. What is your current security configuration?

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

This comparison is majorly outdated with respect to WinPatrol. The latest version of WP has had a huge improvement in Anti-Spy & Anti-Trojan abilities. Better yet, it does this heuristically so isn't dependent on constant updates to sigs.

From the WP website...
    The system-resources-hit of WP is feather light. Also, WP runs on all Windows INCLUDING Vista (tested). Rest assured, when Vista arrives, the system requirements for M$ security programs will narrow down accordingly. Forced obsolescence is an M$ policy that won't be abandoned IMHO.

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

For my use, WP is so easy to use, and provides so much information that I would not be without it. I have the Plus version.
    Jerry

9. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

dozleng comparison used Scotty ver 9.5, Scotty at 9.7 still does not come close to covering the sheer amount of items that M$AS does. M$AS had 59 real-time-protection agents. Counting the real time protection (dozleng chart) Scoty has 12, aso to get the heuristic capabilities, you have to pay for Scotty+. Also M$AS according to what Wai Wai posted ( see this forum "Why bother using anti trojan program," post 3 signature line ) Spyware score M$AS 308/425 this bested, webroot & lavasoft.

By using SpywareGuard heuristic action free + M$AS you cover all categories listed on the dozleng chart, should you use, versions 9.5 or 9.7 you will not achieve the amount of real time protection. Using Scotty & M$AS you have overlap, or two RTA's trying to protect the same thing.

Hi Jr. Seems like dega vu all over again!

More RTA's great scanner, free! Great heuristic action free = M$AS + SG

Guys I don't know why the dozleng page is not showing up for you, it works fine for me yesterday & today.

Regards
    rico

10. Tom772

Tom772 Guest

''WinPatrol has expanded the number of locations monitored as auto-run setup programs. The Spyware and Adware villains have found some of those undocumented locations in Windows and Scotty will now check them as well. WinPatrol will reset them back to the default Windows settings.

WinPatrol has also expanded auto-startup locations internal to windows and more likely to be modified by experienced WinPatrol users. WinPatrol PLUS is required for this extended support.''

>I like what im hearing about Winpatrol, but i am wondering if the free Version is still as good as the paid for version, when comparing it to the free protection offered from Spyware Guard?

T

11. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I haven't used Spyware Guard so I won't comment on that aspect.

As to the paid versus free versions of WinPatrol -- the premier feature of the paid version is R.I.D. Ergo, the free version of WP is good, but the paid version is far better.

As to R.I.D. the page that discusses it reads in part as follows...
    Further details about independent tests made of R.I.D. are on the same page I linked above.

12. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Tom,

To get heuristic behavior from WP you must purchaese the WP+ version. With the free version you cover 15 areas, or are protected from. When you opt for Scotty+ you get one more protection. That being "(Real-time Infiltration Detection by 3rd party programs for Plus users)" this is the heuristic action.

SpywareGuard does the same thing (.exe & .cab files)

Tom, If you have not seen the link I reference above let me explain. They list 70 areas which can be protected. The applications have a check mark, in each area they protect. Five applications are compared (check marks for what they protect, of the 70 areas). The apps are: WinPatrol 9.5.0.1, M$AS 1.0.509, SpyBot 1.4, SpywareGuard 2.2, & SpywareBlaster 3.4

Scotty Free 15/70 areas covered
    Scotty+ 16/70 " "
    M$AS 62/70 " "
    SpyBot 10/70 " "
    SG 5/70 " "
    SpyB... 9/70 " "

One area of protection, is lacking from M$AS that Scotty+ has. That would be the "heuristic" area or "(Real-time Infiltration Detection by 3rd party programs for Plus users)." This missing link from M$AS is made up for by installing the heuristic SpywareGuard.

Said another way buy Scotty+, you need to protect 54 other areas, of your computer that Scotty+ can't!!!!!

Also please note only one application should be allowed to protect one area:
    Example Scotty & M$AS, & SpyBot offer "Application Agent for Startup Registry files". Only one should be allowed Scotty or M$AS or SpyBot. Having two apps. guarding this area can lead to conflict, & other problems. By printing the dozleng thing you will be able to see where or if you have double coverage, hence configuring the app's so only one prog is protecting one area.

Plus M$AS offers outstanding malware scanning which, Scotty does not do.

regards
    rico

13. Tom772

Tom772 Guest

Thanks Bellgamin and Rico for your help/advice very much Appreciated. I will probably download both and see what they are like and give them a play!!

Take care, T

14. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I had MSAS + SpywareGuard + WinPatrol and when I updated my Hosts File,
    both MSAS and WinPatrol asked me for confirmation.
    MSAS asked it very quickly, but it took WinPatrol much longer to ask it.

I have now MSAS + SpywareGuard.
    In other words, I killed man's best friend. Sorry Scotty :'(

15. BBB

BBB Guest

too bad they don't include Counterspy. I wonder now if MSAS and Counterspy beta have become unique in it's own direction.

16. jima

jima Registered Member

Rico,
    I noticed you made the same statements regarding Winpatrol over at Castlecops last month. The author, Bill, responded with the following:

"The chart is a very useful one if you're looking for overlap and you're interest in a particular protection. While you requested I didn't respond I will offer this for others who review it. Overall, when I look at the chart I'm pretty happy with the coverage provided by WinPatrol compared to others. Once an infection occurs it will affect a large number of registry areas.

What we've learned is its redundant to monitor every possible location when some key locations will let you know you've been infected. Our users in general have preferred to answer a single alert and not 20 for each registry change. Our main goal is to stop the execution of the threat and remove its ability to re-launch. I think we provide this coverage in a reasonable manner and with minimal impact on normal usage.

To answer you heuristic question, Yes, the free version of WinPatrol has always used a heuristic approach. This was our approach before others considered it, and long before anyone knew what Spyware was.
    It's your choice what product to use but I hope at least I've convinced you that I'm very sincere in my desire to help those in need".

He seems to be stating that he feels it is redundant to monitor all those 54 locations, and that he can achieve the same level of protection by monitoring a select few. Do you disagree with his postion? And could you state why? Also, you state that only the plus version uses heuristics, but he seems to be telling you that the free version has always used it. What gives? Whose right here?

17. It's all a matter of balancing risks versus ease of use. The more secure the system the harder it is to use. Without further testing it's hard to say what is the right amount of monitoring. The new winpatrol report shows it's quite good at detecting common spyware.

It depends on how you define 'heuristics'. Detecting a new BHO installed is technically a heuristic too.

18. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Take a look at he poll, over at CastleCops, "Which of the following do you like and trust most for active protection?" Note this poll is recent as I voted yesterday.

4 times as many respondents voted for M$AS vs WinPatrol. Scotty & SpywareGuard are in a photofinish.

I've been using M$AS for sometime now, & occasionally (not constantly) i get warnings or advisories from M$AS. ZA Pro version 6 gives far more warnings. Anyway i feel its good to have M$AS pop up a warning when required.

Look at the list of 54 unprotected things (see dozleng chart) & decide what protection you can do without. I do not feel BillP's statement regarding less protection, to avoid warnings is valid point. I guess you have to defend your product.

As far as BillP's argument that Scotty free is heuristic, then please explain to me why, dozleng chart states "(Real-time Inflitration Detection 3rd party programs for PLUS users)". Please note the category containing (Real...users) is Real-time Protection (intercepting known files with spyware before it is run). Also checked off here is SpywareGuard!

Erik,
    and got away with it Scott free!

4:1 ratio M$AS vs WinPatrol, see CastleCops poll
    True free Heuristic action SG VS Scotty+ $ heuristic, or Scotty free maybe or semi heuristic.
    Roughly 4 times more protection M$AS vs Scotty.

It's an easy decision for me (with the help of dozleng chart) M$AS + SG does just about everything on the chart.

Regards
    Rico

19. MSAS is very popular of course because it can detect and remove adware. One of the big 3.

I personally find SG worthless as well. Heuristics in it are a joke.

20. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Would you mind sharing with us the testing you used in order to come to that conclusion :doubt:

21. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys, Regarding "heuristics" the programs that i'm aware of are: SpywareGuard, WinPatrol Plus, TruPrevent, Prevx, F-Secure. I'm sure there are more applications, which use heuristics. It's also my understanding that these application rely on rules & charasteristics of malware, to stop malware from installing. I also believe that the behavior of malware, uses to infect, does not change often. Hence heuristic applications do not have to upgrade, as often as scanner software. At least its been along time since SpywareGuard, had an update. I've also heard some wonderful things about Panda's Tru-Prevent. I also believe that heuristics, is not the be all, end all, in the war against malware, but just another tool. Methods that I'm aware of to thwart malware are:

Scanning
    Integrity Checking
    Heuristic
    Interception

Hence heuristics is just another tool, to compliment other tools, in the fight against malware.

If i've got something wrong here, please advise.

Thanks
    rico

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.