spyware guard log

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by uksenior, Oct 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uksenior

uksenior Registered Member

I do not have a log in my spywareguard and I have been using it for ages....I have looked in the folder in my programme files and it isnt in there!!!
    Am I missing something..How do I create one? :rolleyes:

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

SpywareGuard is supposed to not create a log file until it actually finds (stops) some spyware from installing. Have you had an alerts from SpywareGuard saying it has stopped a spyware install in this time?

3. uksenior

well..no I have'nt.but...I just downloaded the new spyblaster beta and it found an alexa, so how did that that slip in....I have spyware blaster and spyware guard plus norton internet security 2003..what else do I need .? a brick wall :)

4. LowWaterMark

Okay, good. That's why there is no log file then.

Well, it depends upon what Alexa it found. If it was just the one described in this thread, it is nothing and is automatically created by IE.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=12361

If it's the full version Alexa toolbar, then let us know.

That's good protection. There are other items, but they may not be needed if you don't generally find any significant spyware on your system.

Do you use either or both Ad-Aware and pybot S&D to scan for spyware?

5. uksenior

well..I deleted it, but it wasnt alexa toolbar,it just said 'alexa related'...
    I use both spybot and ad aware.although I dont have much faith in adaware anymore after the 'weather watcher'episode..I finally removed weather watcher because the bug reports got on my nerves :mad:

6. LowWaterMark

The "alexa related" is just that IE key I mentioned above, so it wasn't important either way. You could have left it or deleted it - neither is a problem.

7. uksenior

ok thankyou...I dont know why I havent had it before though :rolleyes:

8. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Did you install any IE updates recently?
    That is a possible cause for Alexa to show up again.

Regards,

Pieter

9. uksenior

not i/e no..just normal microsoft...but we get them regular dont we...I dont download much at all, only essentials..updates etc

10. QuasiMojo

QuasiMojo Registered Member

to continue with ukseniorlady's query ...

She never anwered your question about AdAware, Spybot, etc. Like her, I'm still suspicious I haven't triggered something to make SpyGuard actually kick into gear.

I use Spybot and Aluria 3.0, and between them they find around 10 pieces of spyware daily on my computer. So if SpywareGuard is working, how come nothing shows in the log?

11. Pieter_Arntz

Hi QuasiMojo,

Welcome at Wilders. :)

Could you please be a little more specific as to what Aluria and Spybot S&D find?
    I would guess they are tracking cookies, but it´s better to be sure.

Regards,

Pieter

12. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Re:to continue with ukseniorlady's query ...

It would be useful to know what kinds of spyware are found daily - most likely they are tracking cookies.

Also, you should have SpywareBlaster installed along with SpywareGuard to prevent the ActiveX-based installation of spyware.

You can test SpywareGuard by trying to change the homepage in Internet Explorer (if you have Browser Hijacking Protection on). You should see an alert, and after choosing to keep the change or restore the old value a log file should be created. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

13. uksenior

:mad:
    Quasi is right!!! Why are we getting these on our computer,even if they are ONLY spy cookies..lol only,,I do not want any spy cookies, that is why I installed spyware guard... Should these cookies not have been blocked and an entry put in the log?
    I just dont know what spyware guard is supposed to do!!! o_O

p.s I also have spyware blaster.spybot sd.Adaware and nis!!! :doubt:

14. gtdgb

gtdgb Guest

Spyware guard blocks cookies? That's news to me. I thought it just does cab and exe files, not sure what the other component does

15. Pieter_Arntz

Hi gtdgb,

You are right. SpywareGuard doesn´t block cookies. SpywareBlaster does, but only for IE6.

Regards,

Pieter

16. uksenior

o_O
    I have ie6 of course with winxp so!!!

17. LowWaterMark

As Javacool said above, if you want to see if SpywareGuard is working and have it create its first log file, then go into IE > Tools > Internet Options... > General tab > Home page. Change your home page to something other than it is and hit OK. If you have SpywareGuard's browser hijack protection enabled, you should see an alert. When you've answered that alert (to change back your home page) you should be able to find the SG log file.

SpywareGuard's other protections include a spyware scanner for .EXE based installers. When you run a software install kit, SG scans that kit for known spyware before letting it install. Also, SG has a download protection feature which stops some spyware elements from coming down during an IE web session (but not tracking cookies - that is SpywareBlaster).

For both SpywareGuard and SpywareBlaster (for those that have both) be sure you've checked for database updates and enabled all the protections. Once you have, we'd be interesting in hearing exactly what spyware tools like Ad-Aware or Spybot S&D are finding other than that one "alexa relate" key, which as we explained above comes from IE (installing IE, upgrading it, patching it and perhaps other MS patches).

SpywareBlaster will block a large known list of spyware cookies, but SpywareBlaster doesn't log. It blocks passively.

18. uksenior

:D
    point taken....they both staylol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.