SpyWare Doctor With Antivirus or SuperAntiSpyware?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jmonge, Dec 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

if you happen to recomend which one will you recomend for a novice person and why?thanks in advance:thumb:

2. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

Seeing as you don't have an antivirus I'd say Spyware Doc. You can still use SAS on demand so :)

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

cool and wise reply:thumb: couple of friends ask me the queastion for which one to use and decided to post here cause i dont use any signiture antimalware:D

4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

by the way is the trial of superantispyware pro fully functionally?

5. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

As far as I can remember, yes :)

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks,i may try this pro version to see how it funtions:cool:

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i recomended this spyware doctor to a friend and he says that it cleans his pc really good:thumb:

8. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Go with Spyware Doctor.

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks for the advise,do you have good or bad experiences with the 2 mention in the post?thanks again;)

10. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

I'd rather have Avira free + SAS Pro ($20 w/ lifetime updates) over PCTools SD+AV any day of the week. SD is bloated to the max and has lackluster detection capabilities. The aforementioned combo also does not require a yearly renewal.

Not the most scientific review (no scan results), but at least they went to VB for the testing. http://www.maximumpc.com/article/fe...rom_guys_like_this?page=0,3&OTC-U4P481274081=
    Another thing to keep in mind is how often do any of the reputable malware removal forums recommend PCTools AV or SD for cleaning infections? The answer is next to never, and for a very good reason since they are inferior in every way. The lack of a fully functional trial on SD doesn't help matters any, and the SD Starter Edition is gimped w/ only 1/3 of the pay version definitions.

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

hey thanks for the cool info,and do you think that by having avira and superantispyware will not bloat the pc as spyware doctor?thanks:thumb:

12. EliteKiller

Oops, you quoted my post before I finished editing. ;) None the less Avira + SAS is one of the lightest AV+AS combos you can put together, and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that disagrees.

13. The Hammer

While I don't personally use it (Spyware Doctor) I have friends that do and are happy with it.

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i see,what about superantispyware?

15. EliteKiller

Do these friends of yours keep up with malware trends, or are they the casual pc users who fall for the hype that you find at big box stores?

Spyware Doctor was one a major player several years ago back when Spy Sweeper and Ad-Aware were on top of their game. However a lot has changed over the years and IMO PCTools really needs to spend more time refining their AV/AS product. Some will throw up Threatfire, but unfortunately they only gobbled up the company that invented it (Novatix). Any time I come across a pc with PCTools AV or SD I treat it no differently than I do when I encounter Norton (prior to 07) and McAfee. It is immediately uninstalled and a more worthy alternative is put in its place.

16. The Hammer

It's a fine product. But I went for Spyware Doctor because of the included Av component. Sorry, I realize I should have said that in my original post in this thread.:oops:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  17. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Apparently not, see here. The moderator there says "The Starter edition of Spyware Doctor contains the full database for Spyware threats, there are however some Viral threats for which signatures are not included in the Starter Edition."

18. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Also keep in mind that SD+AV is a real resource hog !!

For a novice user, IMO best would be Avast & Windows Defender. Or SAS Pro instead of WinDefender.

19. EliteKiller

I suppose PCT could have changed it up over the past 6 months, but here's a couple of threads indicating that SDSE has 1/3 of the definition database. Even to this day PCT has always been shady about SDSE and it's true limitations.
    http://www.pctools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50642
    http://www.pctools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51128&page=2

Even if SDSE had the full database it doesn't really help turn a lump of coal into a diamond. ;)
    Best Free Adware/Spyware/Scumware Remover

20. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Im with Elitekiller on this 1, even though SD does detect some new malware SAS detects at least twice as well and wont cost you as much resources plus its cheaper ;)

21. Makav3l1

Makav3l1 Registered Member

Can we get some final confirmation on this? Anyone know for sure?

22. The Hammer

I realize we could expand the list of products beyond what the OP requested comment on. I particularly like the setup proposed by EliteKiller. However the original post gave me the impression it was an either / or proposition.

23. Fly

Fly Registered Member

For as for as I know, SAS doesn´t detect ´viruses´.

I´ve stopped using the Spyware Doctor or any other products from Pctools, because of resource hogging, and all sorts of problems that have turned up in the past. I used to be a fan of the product, but now it´s junk, or at least it used to be.

Also, I consider Pctools to have unethical business practices.

I wouldn´t touch a Pctools product even if I were paid for it !

It´s not as if there are no good alternatives.

24. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks to all the advises:thumb: do you guys think that avira plus spyware terminator or superantispyware will be a better choice?thanks again

25. Someone

Someone Registered Member

But those threads are quite old.

I agree. :) :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.