Spyware Doctor Upgrade& Windows Mail

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by MikeStevens, May 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeStevens

MikeStevens Registered Member

I have a new PC which has Vista and Spyware Doctor installed (the free version). Everything worked OK. I decided to upgrade to the "paid for" version of SD and then my problems began.
    Windows Mail would not start. I received a message "Windows Mail could not be started, initialize junk filtering. Your computer may be out of memory or disk is full (...which was nonsense) ... (0x80070002) and when I clicked OK, "Windows Mail could not be started because MSOE.DLL could not be initilaised"

After several hours and a few missed important emails later, I was advised to remove Spyware Doctor and do a "System Restore" and ... Windows Mail worked OK.

So, I reinstalled Spyware Doctor and, Windows Mail would not start up again.

So I uninstalled SD and did another "System Restore".

Now I have no Spyware Doctor, but an annoying "Spyware Doctor" pop up.

I have contacted the support people at PC tools but the only response I have had is a refund to my credit card.

What do I do now? I am loathe to install the free version. How do I totally uninstall all the SD components?

I am using this forum, perhaps I should wait for PC Tools to reply?

Can anyone recommend a similar product that works and doesn't give me all these problems?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Mike

2. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

1) Stop using system restore! :)
    2) Reinstall SD and then go to control panel > programs to uninstall it.
    3) SUPERAntiSpyware is highly recommended. The free version is a gem, but the Pro version offers additional benefits and can be purchased with a lifetime update package. :thumb:
    4) AVG Anti-Spyware and a-squared are good "on-demand" scanners that are also free.
    5) Make sure that you're using a quality anti-virus.

3. MikeStevens

Thank you for your comments but:

1. It seemed I had to use "System Restore" I didn't know what the alternative was. :mad:
    2. I did reinstall SD, and uninstalled it (twice). When I attempt to uninstall using Control panel, I receive this message "File C:/program File/Spyware Doctor/unins000dat" does not exist. Cannot uninstall.

I still have a pop-up saying Spyware Doctor program is not working.

Mike

4. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

1. Use ERUNT:
    http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

2. Install CCleaner:
    http://www.ccleaner.com/
    Have CCleaner scan using the "Issues" tab and have it backup your registry when prompted just in case.
    Reboot.

Both are freeware.

5. MikeStevens

Thanks, I have CCleaner and tried that with no success. I note your recommendation about ERUNT.

EliteKiller said "Stop using System Restore" Can I know why this was said?
    I was desperate to gain access to very important emails which I was expecting. When I contacted PC Tools support, I merely received an acknowledgment (and a refund of my payment for SD) so what was I supposed to do? I'd appreciate comments for the future.

Mike

6. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Mike,

If SD is now removed from your box, I assume it is except for the pop-up. Use a registry cleaner to get rid of the leftover remnant of SD.
    MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP YOUR CHANGES!!

Eusing Free Registry Cleaner:

http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleaner/registry_cleaner.htm

After you rid yourself of the SD issue, I would invest in an Instant Recovery app such as FD-ISR / BootBack.

I'd also post my SD issue on the PC Tools forum. They try to be very helpfull there:

http://www.pctools.com/forum/

hth,

...screamer

btw: I use SD ver 5.0.? I've had no serious problems, but I'm in the minority.

7. MikeStevens

Thanks Screamer, your comments are much appreciated.

Mike:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.