Spyware Doctor: My intial impression

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ejr, Nov 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I have read great reviews about this product and have long wanted to try it out. So last night I donwloaded the trial version. I know that many people have complained about false positives. I didn't get any, but my machine is fairly clean.

Here are my initial impressions:

1. I like the GUI (interface). It is clean and easy to use.
    2. I like the scan speed. It was significantly faster than Spy Spweper.
    3. I like the thoroughness of the scan. It founded remnants of a Keystroke Logger that I had installed on my machine a couple of months ago that Spysweeper does not detect.
    4. I like all the areas that it protects. Very similar to Spysweeper.
    5. I like the fact that it scans Instant Messages. Even though I do not use IM presently, one day I might.
    6. It doesn't appear to slow down my machine.

All in all, I would have to say that after one day of use, I like it as much if not a little better than Spysweeper.

HOWEVER, there were a few things that I did not like that might prevent me from buying it.

1. On installation, I told it NOT to install google toolbar. It did not install it, but did put google files on my machine. Why? I don't like google. They are the company that creates profiles on their users then uses those profiles to sell targeted adds. Not good for a secuirty company to be mixed up with google in my opinion.

2. The installation also tried to install a BHO. Isn't that why we want antispyware software, to prevent BHO's from being installed? Poor choice to have security software install a BHO in my opinion.

3. The trial product only scans but does nto remove spyware. I know that Spyware Doctor doesn't claim that the trial product will remove spyware. So they haven't technically done anything wrong. But it just left me with a bad taste in my mouth. As if they are saying: "if you don't buy our product, we don't care about you". After the scan, Spyware doctor told me that I had 46 registry entries remaining from an installation of PC Tattletale (a keystroke logger). But it wouldn't remove them unless I bought the product. That makes me feel like Spyware Doctor doesn't care about PC Security, and only cares abot making money.

So while I truly believe that Spyware doctor is superior to most non HIPS antispyware products on the market, I'm not sure I'd buy it. There seems to be a certain "sleeze factor" that I am not comfortable with.

If they would:

1. Ditch the association with Google
    2. Remove the BHO from the install process and
    3. Make the trial product fully functional

I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I might even be able to look past the association with google. But not the others.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I fully agree with you. I wouldn't like that either.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I very much dislike this product.
    The main reason is that it only ever found false positives - and asked for money to remove them - sounds kind of ... fishy to me.
    The uninstall leaves the orphaned BHO behind.
    And so forth.
    Mrk

4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

As for the uninstall and google i agree. But the BHO is used by several antimalwares, no?

5. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Try booting into safemode!. After trial & error, i discovered it was Spyware Doctor that was preventing this. And yes, it does have FP's in the full version which is another reason i got rid of it!.

6. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I hate to sound stupid here, but what does "FP" mean?

7. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

False Positive!

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

if you didnt know spysweeper trial also doesnt remove unless you buy.
    counterspy does remove with the trial and so does superantispyware.
    lodore

9. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I have tried SD before and was discouraged by its F.P. findings. Just couple weeks ago, I gave it a hug again, and this time around, it seems to me that a great improvement has been made since . I convinced myself to make this posting and invite all former users to give a new trial. SD is a fairly good app. If they can improve it over the time and learn from mistakes, it can evolve into an excellent program. They must have been through ups and downs. Hope this time they can prevail.

10. ErikAlbert

What's the point of having a trial version, that doesn't remove the malwares ?
    Only one thing is good about this, it won't remove the f/p's either. :)

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

as i said above spysweeper trial doesnt remove eiether so dont just blame spyware doctor blame webroot as well:D ]
    lodore

12. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: It's pity. These two giants, if you have no objections to call them this way, want us to feel their power, but always a click too far. Other than that, not a bad app.:-*

13. ErikAlbert

OK. I'll keep on staring at the removal screen of both, until I have the money to buy them.
    I guess the trial version must be very short for most users. :rolleyes:

14. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,folks: Software developers can spend their first million $, trying to earn that first $. But they often overlook a tiny obscle, which is also the big step separating a stalling venture from progressing one. They need to strengthen that mighty click of REMOVAL to let users feel their claimed power. Folks at SD, has the subscription rate been increased lately? If not, look at that click again.

15. ejr

ejr Registered Member

It's a shame because based on numerous reviews, I believe Spywae Doctor to be a great product. But I need to see so for myself. Any program can scan your computer and tell you that you have spyware. But can it remove the programs it detects? How quickly? How easily?

It's a shame PC Tool doesn't let you see the whole product. They are so worried about you downloading their product merely to clean your machine that they are missing out on a lot of users that would buy the application if they would just let us see a working demo.

It would be VERY easy for PC Tools to make a demo that stops removing malware after 2 weeks. It would also be very easy for them to also put a measure in place to ensure that you don't download, install, run the trial, unisntall and repeat. With just a little effort they could give us a fully functional demo and more than likely boost sales with that demo (and repair the sleeze image that is stuck in my mind).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.