Spyware Doctor FREEZING @ Splash Screen?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Birdman, Aug 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Spyware Doctor version: 4.0.0.2603

I'm using a registered/retail version of Spyware Doctor (with all shields turned OFF; used as an on-demand scanner only).

Whenever I launch the program, there seems to be a long pause/freeze where the splash screen appears (under "loading monitors"). This started happening recently (unsure if it started after a program update or not).

In the past, the splash screen would only appear for a few seconds and disappear. Now it's taking a couple of minutes.

Is this a settings issue or a bug/glitch in the program itself.

I tried emailing PC Tools support but I have yet to receive a response/reply.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

I'm getting the same thing and I bought the program, not just trying it out.

3. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Lotsa Luck my friend. I waited for weeks to hear from PC Tools when I had an issue w/ their AV. Their solution was to re-install it. Ahhh Ha Ha Ha!
    Like I didn't try that before e-mailing them.... Duh?

OTOH, that's the advice I'm giving you. Un-install the app, delete the SpyWare Doctor folder in |Program Files| and give the registry a quick cleaning. Make sure you get all references to SpyWare Doctor out of the registry. The re-boot and try to re-install.

hth,

...screamer

4. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

This probably doesn't help solve your issue but mine does the same thing. Luckily I never manually launch it since mine's running all the time, I use it for resident. But the splash screen takes FOREVER to go away.

On the plus side it's a really good antispyware app, and it's worth the annoying splash screen in my opinion.

5. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

dude,everyone has this problem,pray to god that your problem is solved,also goto pcmag's forum,labeled as "discussions",i have seen their people answering questions there...

6. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

My Spyware Doctor lisence expires soon anyway. I might be glad to remove it, it does tend to hog some resources.

Do you think I can get by on freebie anti-spyware tools rather then buy Spyware Doctor annually?

7. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Although I haven't tried it, there is a freeare AS program that offers real-time protection that a few in this community have used and recommend called Spyware Terminator. Unfortunately, I haven't heard a lot about it...since most people here seem to have jumped on the SUPERAntiSpyware bandwagon....which only offers a free trial and/or a free scanner, but is shareware if you want the resident protection.

Of course, ewido offers a free scanner, as well as Spybot, Ad-Aware, etc., but most of the resident AS apps are paid versions. And that's why I'm hoping to hear a little more about Spyware Terminator myself.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.