Spyware Doctor™ 4.0 for Windows - New Version!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Baldrick, Jul 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi there

Just noticed that a new version of Spyware Doctor 4.0 for Windows has been released! Have not been ab;e to find any details about was is new but I assume that there is not that much different to what was released in 3.8, ie, new Spider Scan technology, etc.

Edit: Just found the following information on new features:

New Instant Messenger (IM) Guard Tool
    New Ability to remove challenging new threats designed to elude elimination
    New Enhanced Ignore List with added security features
    New Enhancements to scanning tools
    New A System Restore point feature

More details on the following site:

http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/features/

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  2. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Re: Spyware Doctor™ 4.0 for Windows - New Version!

WOW! WOW!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Intense competition in the anti-spyware market!!! Both Spy Sweeper 5.0 and Spyware Doctor 4.0 released new versions on the same day. And CounterSpy 2.0 beta will available in the next few weeks. :D And we also have the hot SuperAntiSpyware!!!

Remember that Ewido 4.0 and A-Squared 2.0 was also released on the same day!!! :D

3. spindoctor

spindoctor Registered Member

I wonder if this latest version is a free upgrade for those who still have eariler version, like 3.5. That would be nice if it was. Anyone know?

4. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

You may take a look of this:

http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/answers/id/13/

It seems the license is a yearly subscription instead of a particular version. If your subscription has not yet expired, you can upgrade to 4.0 for free.

You can also see from here that

http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/renew/

When you renew your subscription for another year, they simply add one more year to you existing license code.

5. spindoctor

spindoctor Registered Member

6. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Attached Files:

7. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

thanks.looks good!

8. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I installed SDv.4.0 trial version. Guess what this mighty app has detected. It suddenly discovered over 300 infections(mostly are trojans in registry), wha, I just could not believe what I saw. I clean my pc on daily basis w/ these: superantispyware, spyware treminator, ewido plus and spybot. I also use ghost surf, considering myself a very careful surfer. None of these above has dectected any thing SD has discovered.Of course, this trial version can ONLY scan and detect wild things, you have to fork $$$ to have these things cleaned. I just wonder has anyone from Spyware Warrior looked into this new version lately? Anyone else has any similar encounter? Just wonder.

9. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

It is probable that they are false positives.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

people have reported most of things spyware doctor detects in at least the trial is false possitives but dont know about the full version

11. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: If this is highly possible, then our friends @ Spyware Warrior should(just a suggestion) step in doing a thorough auditor work.o_O

12. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

The full version is the same as the trial version. A license key turns the trial version to a full version.

13. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

If they do not show you the false positives, you will not be tempted to buy their products to clean the nasties. Just wild guess. :rolleyes:

14. Ngwana

Ngwana Registered Member

If I was you, I will be extra careful not conclude that 'everything detected' must be false positives just because other Anti-spyware programs gave you a clean bill of health. The guys at PCPRO.co.uk give Spyware Doctor the highest detection rate than the competition.

Of course I use Spyware Doctor 4 and Spy sweeper 5 (both configured to avoid dministrative conflicts). I have seen enough 'bashing' of Spyware Doctor concerning FP's, but just be careful. You are welcome to confere with Spyware Warrior forum. :D

15. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, chubb: Is that an ethical business practice ?

16. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

That is why I say just wild guess. Sometimes, false positives may also be due to heuristics. So you need to check if they are due to heuristics or true positives.

17. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,chubb: Thanks. I will look into these wild things one by one to see whether they are what SD has said.

18. Ngwana

Ngwana Registered Member

All anti-spyware, AV's and anti-trojans using hueristics have difficulty with 'Studio' software ( the likes of Logic, Sound Forge) due to the strange filename extensions. For example .pca (perfect clarity audio) is too often mistaken for PC Agent trojan. Check the names closely and confirm the registry locations if none of them are pointing to software you know.

19. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Sometimes, false positive may be a good thing, as least you know that the software's heuristics engine is working. The term false positive may not be appropriate in some situation. When the heuristic engine is working properly, it will prompt you for possible spyware, and then you decide if they are really the case. It is how heuristic works.

So, heuristics may be good or bad, depending on the situation. Good, because it will alert you for unknown spyware, but bad in a sense that you may be frightened by those false alarms.

20. dog

dog Guest

Since when did SD have any type of heuristic engine?

My personal opinion .... I wouldn't touch this product with a ten-foot pole. I was given a free one year license about a year back from today .... I've tried it and I wasn't impressed at all - I wouldn't even use it if the free version was a full working copy. :doubt:

21. Ngwana

Ngwana Registered Member

I am a very satisfied user of fully paid version of Spyware Doctor 4, but for now I am more interested in the 300 'infections'. Have you confirmed that they are ALL false positives?

22. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

I didn't use Spyware Doctor myself because I have CounterSpy and Spy Sweeper already. Their web site showed that they are using some guards and scanning technologies to scan for malware, maybe this increased the chance of false positive, or maybe it is by design to prompt you for the alert and let you decide whether it is a false or true positive.

23. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I need time to check each one of them one by one, but from a quick glance, i am certain 15 of them are F.P. Again i need to emphesis that I just ran Ewido plus full scan and TH full scan, none of them has detected any wild things, let me deeply wonder.o_O

24. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

is it lighter on resources than the earlier 3.8 version??

25. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I also ran the trial version, and SD found three things. I then learned it did not clean. Since I have used various anti-malware applications and all was clean.

I uninstalled SD, as its results are the same as past years. FP and buy me.

Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.