Spyware Cleaner.exe

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by beethoven, May 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

Just noticed during a routine scan of the network that one of the pc was infected by

In fact doing the scan remotely only advised of the infection, I then did a scan at the pc and had it cleaned as above.

I am wondering why this was not detected earlier (not trying to blame - just trying to understand;) ) - as I have been doing these scans for more than a year. The dates of the files in this folder are 2006 and older. Can you trust these dates, meaning they have been sitting there for that long?

Did NOD only now include a definition for this particular malware ? If the user had executed the file, would NOD have interfered earlier?

2. stackz

stackz Registered Member

Many of these rogue applications fake the file timestamps, I guess in hope of not being detected by tools that scan for files created in the last 'x' amount of days. Most likely it is a very recent threat and was detected when ESET added a signature for it.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

As you can see, it's detected as an unwanted application. Make sure you have detection of potentially unwanted applications enabled on the client to ensure that similar rogue malware is detected.

4. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

Well, as it is not my own pc I cannot be totally sure but I know the person using this pc. I think it is highly unlikely that she would have installed this as a program herself recently and she is not the type to surf . Is there any info on when detection for this was added?

I found some info on this file going back to 2008, so it's not a very new threat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.