Spyware Block List File update 04/20/2005 {16:45:12}

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Bethrezen, Apr 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

hi

with reguard to this blocklist i was wondreing why it is that i am unable to find infomation on some of the clsid on there list

here are a couple of such entries

{0054ad19-7e4e-4ae4-b275-20f237280f5c}
    {5477e1a7-cccc-14f5-1e7c-4b1e527cc673}
    {0054ad19-7e4e-4ae4-b275-20f237280f5c}
    {0657b07e-ce39-75ed-da41-3d4b4c0a1a08}

are these entries bogas

2. dog

dog Guest

Hi Bethrezen, ;)

As we don't allow discussions in the update forum, I will lock this thread.

If you could please repost your concerns in the "Other Security Issues" Forum.

Thanks Kindly in Advance,

Steve

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

As has been mentioned before....we ask that questions concerning software updates not be posted in a corresponding updates thread....but in an appropriate forum.

Please continue your inquiry in this thread.

Regards,
    Bubba

4. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Hi Beth, I don't think they're bogus...and I don't think they will reveal anything on how they are testing/evaluating the malware to find the clsids...

5. Bethrezen

hi all

with regard to my previous question I have been informed that the reason for this is because spyware guide had been adding these invalid entries deliberately why I don't know

I can only assume its either for some questionable porous or the people generating these lists haven't been paying attention to what there doing

further I also like to ask why all the old update posts for spyware guids lists have mysteriously vanished from several mainstream boards this one included

for proof of this accusation I offer this post

originally the first post in this thread as per the title : Spyware Block List File update 04/20/2005

was posted in the update forum pointing to the then latest update to the block list in question

however for no explicable reason the first post in this thread has been removed now i understand that im not suposed to post in the update forum thats fair enough but id like to know why the thread had been tamperd with insted of just moved

Last edited: Jul 13, 2005
  6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Mysteriously disappeared ? They haven't disappeared....those along with a ton of other ones were deleted....and are deleted each and every day.

Please don't get your panties in a wad....The explicable reason you refer to in your accusation can best be answered by reading our freely available Updates Forum Policy

Update Alerts Posting Policy - Read Before Posting!!

Have a nice day Beth :cool: :ninja:

7. Bethrezen

hi Bubba

thanks for your reply however I still have a question regarding this

if indeed all of this is entirely legitimate then could you please try to explain this

http://www.mntolympus.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=399#399

because it would appear that if phantom is correct then there is more going on here than meets the eye

this being the case then attention needs to be brought to bare when a company involved in security gets caught performing what could be deemed as questionable actions

now I'm not trying to say anyone has done anything wrong nor am I trying to cause trouble I'm merely investigating what I perceive to be suspicious

now if there is a reasonable legitimate explanation and I'm over reacting then fair enough ill make my apologies but if indeed there is some sort of cover up going on then it should be exposed

8. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I'm not quite sure I follow the issue, but I will reply on the one point regarding our Update Alerts forum section. That section has always contained just the latest update notice for any and all software. The policy Bubba quoted above has been the way the forum has been run for perhaps 2-3 years now.

Simply take a look at that forum section. It always sits at around 14-15 pages of updates. If "all updates ever posted" were left there, it would be hundreds of pages of threads. Each day (except weekends) perhaps 30 (or more) new threads get posted there, and so, the moderators sort the thread listing and find all the previous updates for the same product and delete those threads.

If that is what your question involves, then you need only look at the posts there. Use the "Thread" column header to sort the forum section in alphabetical order and you'll see how the updates work. (Of course, there will be application updates posted separate from definition updates, and there will be some additional threads regarding beta versions. But, basically one thread per product/type.)

As for the Spyware Block List update postings, they are handled the same way. At this moment, this is the current alert for it. When that one was posted, someone found the previous alert and removed it.

Now, if the Spyware Block List folks chose to reduce their CLSID count, or change how they're doing things, well that goes well beyond the scope of our Update Alerts forum. We simply post a quick thread that some new update is available. We generally don't analize the updates in any of these posts, though such discussions can certainly happen in forum section like this.

So, is that what you're talking about as far Spyware Block List updates and how they are posted here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.