Spyware Blaster - worth having?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Simon6776, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon6776

Simon6776 Registered Member

Hi Guys,

I have used Spyware Blaster for several years, and have always opted to pay for the auto updates, as I knew I would never remember to do it manually. The yearly subscription renewal is now due, but I am not sure if SB has much effect any more, or whether there is a similar, better, and preferably free alternative, with auto updates? Does Windows Defender do the same job?

I currently have FSIS 2007 installed, and AVGAS (free) as an on demand scanner. My FSIS is also up for renewal soon, and unless I decide to, once again, scout round trying other suites, of which I don't think any have been significantly updated since my last round of testing, I will be sticking with FSIS, so any Spyware Blaster alternatives will have to be compatible.

2. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Yes it blocks over 7000 malware and cookies from installing and the number is growing. I don't feel safe unless I have Spyware Blaster.

3. JCorliss

JCorliss Registered Member

If you don't use IE, there's really no use unless you need it for cookies.

4. Simon6776

Well, there's two conflicting opinions, both of which are respected and appreciated.

It works for Firefox and Mozilla as well, doesn't it? :doubt: I have been using Mozilla (Sea Monkey) for years, and hardly touch IE any more.

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

if you dont (want to) handle cookies yourself, SpywareBlaster may be useful.

6. JCorliss

JCorliss Registered Member

I don't believe there's much it can do in Firefox/Mozilla other than cookies. (no Active x allowed anyway)

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I used it for years, and few cookies, etc. I have not used it a very long time, and few cookies. I am convinced it just takes up room with no real benefits.

Jerry

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

has F-Secure fixed the FP with avgas being detected as malware during install? and uninstall?
    i wouldnt bother with spyware blaster.
    if you already got avgas and f-secure you dont really need it.
    if you want an extra layer of defence i surgest the mvps hosts file.
    and with regards to f-secure subscription ending soon well it depends if it works well on your pc and your happy with it or not.
    but you might as well test the other suites anyway.
    lodore

9. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

At only 3.13 MB, space is hardly a concern I would think. As far resources, how can you beat 0 memory and CPU usage. Other then remembering to check for updates once in a while what does it hurt? I only wish other "more modern" security apps. could work in\be as efficient as Spyware Blaster.

Not a big fan of host files. IMO, they are just someones idea of where you should`t go. For the times I do venture on the Dark Side :ninja: I will count on other methods to protect me. Although for the noob\novice\parents wishing to protect kids they are not a bad way to go.

10. Simon6776

I have installed / uninstalled AVGAS with FSIS up and running, and received no conflict warnings. This is the free version of AVG, not the real time edition.

As for trying other suites, I have tried most of them before, and unless any have significantly changed in the last few months, I don't see much point in going though the exercise all over again, besides, the more you install / uninstall these suites, the more chance there is of something not being removed properly, and causing subsequent problems, like screwing up the Security Center. I would have liked to see what the NOD32 suite is like, but it doesn't look like it will be out in time.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ok you might as well stay with f-secure then.
    i just got a virus alert from f-secure when i installed avgas.
    this was when i was using f-secure like 4 months ago.
    and f-secure also popped up with a virus alert when i uninstalled it as well.
    i was using the trial version that sinks to the free version after 30 days.
    i was just wondering if the False possitive with f-secure popping up with avgas being a virus and asking what action to choose
    lodore

12. Simon6776

Not being funny, but did you download AVGAS from the official site, or another reputable source? I'm just wondering if you were unlucky and got a dodgy download of it?

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

it was from grisoft.com
    I browsed to avg antispyware and found the trial downloads.
    i downloaded the avgas and installed
    i rememeber emailing f-secure about the FP but they never replyed
    lodore

14. Simon6776

15. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I use Fx 90% of the time but I still would not dream of getting rid of Spyware Blaster. Recall that IE is an EMBEDDED PART OF THE OS AND THAT EXPLORER IS IE BASICALLY. I think Spyware Blaster is needed IMO. It doesn't run, uses no CPU yet it offers invaluable protection by setting the killbit on a variety of nasty programs that use ActiveX. Microsoft fixes some security holes by issuing a patch that sets the killbit on something. They did that recently. Besides setting the killbit on many nasty programs that use ActiveX so they cannot install and run, Spyware Blaster does other useful things such as offers you the ability to set the killbit on Flash Player and then you can lift it if you really want to see something that requires Flash Player. You can make a snapshot of your hosts file in case it ever gets deleted or causes a problem. I like that I can add my own killbits to control ActiveX programs. Thereare a variety of things Spyware Blaster can do besides block the installation of malicious ActiveX programs for IE/Maxthon and kill bad cookies in Firefox.

16. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

IMO Mele20 is correct.
    I will definitely keep SWB installed here.

17. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I understand. My point was that I consider it useless for me.

Regards,
    Jerry

18. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

7000+ malware and cookies seems to me like a drop in the ocean, but it helps, because it's a drop.

19. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

I set IE to block all cookies except for sites that I specify.

20. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

I use the 4d-s.xml file from http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/resource5.htm#files by Eric L. Howes.

It is part of his XML-MENU.ZIP package
    Here is how I handle IE 6 cookies
    Code:
    ----    ----------------------------------------|----------------------------------------|
    XML                ** Internet Zone **          |            ** Trusted Zone **          |
    File    1-noPolicy 1-noRule 3-noPolicy 3-noRule | 1-noPolicy 1-noRule 3-noPolicy 3-noRule|
    ----    ---------- -------- ---------- -------- | ---------- -------- ---------- --------|
    4d-s    Session    Session  reject     reject     First      First    reject     reject
    Mike

21. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Doesn't SpyB add those 7000 blocked entries to the registry?

Not really sure on this but if it does would you consider it as bloatware?

22. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

SpywareBlaster doesn't fit in my security setup and 7000+ malware + cookies indicates a blacklist, which I try to avoid as much as possible. :)

23. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I never really understood what all the fuzz is about, I mean if you run your browser in non-admin mode, ActiveX controls can´t install anyways. Also, Maxthon (my main browser) has had an ActiveX blocker for quite some time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.