Spyware Blaster wants me to insert my Dell Resource CD

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by joni, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joni

joni Registered Member

SB v3.5.1
    Windows XP
    Dell Dimension E510

When I open SB, I don't know why it wants me to insert my Dell Resource CD. If I manage to get rid of the message, SB works OK. I reinstalled it today and the same thing keeps happening. How can I fix this problem?

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

3. joni

joni Registered Member

Inserting Dell Resource CD does not fix the problem. Get message
    Warning 1909. Could not create shortcut Dell Resource CD .lnk. Verify that the destination folder exists and that you can access it.

fReinstalling Spywareblaster did not work either.

Re Office. When I got this computer I installed my old Word 2000 program. I did not install the entire Microsoft Works but MS Works does show up on my start menu. I thought I never had Office (I thought that was a separate program), but I was told by Dell to download Office updates and I have been doing that. I was wondering if I inserted the Word 2000 CD when it asks for the Dell Resource CD if that might fix the problem. I definately do not want to screw up Word since it is my most used program.

4. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

Please try the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility from Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Specifically, find and click the link called "Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility package now" on that page, and follow the instructions to download and install it. (They are available on the page linked above.)

After you run the program, look for an entry called "Dell Resource", or anything similar to the title of the messages you keep seeing, and let me know what you find.

Best regards,

-Javacool

5. OldRebel

OldRebel Registered Member

The Dell Resource CD ususally has an entry in Add/Remove Programs, if you have used the CD after a reformat. You can uninstall it there, and that should resolve this problem. If you need to use the CD again, it will reinstall itself.

6. ray2386

ray2386 Registered Member

Simplest action is to click the X on the Dell box as soon as it shows up. That will kill the Dell box. If you wait to click it, you end up having to do a bunch of clicking.

7. joni

joni Registered Member

Today when I ran Spywareblaster I did not get the popup re the Dell Resource CD so I did not try the cleanup (sounds sort of dangerous anyway). I will try the other two suggestions if it pops up again 1. re closing at the X immediately or removing Dell Resource CD from Add/Remove.\
    I do, however, wonder why it did not pop up this time.

Thanks all.

8. Happy-Dude

Happy-Dude Registered Member

This problem orginally happened to me also. I had to insert my Dell Back-Up programs disk instead.

But, I did notice what was wrong and what changed. Do you have a file cleaner (like CCleaner) ? The file cleaner programs clean out files on the Windows ---> Temp folder. I found that DellBckp file was there, and that was what te CD reinstalled (funny, it has 0 bytes to it) for me.

Does anyone know what SpywareBlaster has to do in relation to this ? I make sure CCleaner doesn't clean out that folder, but it only opens up when SpywareBlaster is loaded, but doesn't cause any problems with the problem itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.