Spyware Blaster vs Spyware Doctor

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by DonKid, Aug 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

Hi Folks,

Can anyone tell me which program is the best and the diferences between them ?
    I want to install a good spyware , and I'd like to know your opinion.

Best Regards,

DonKid.

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hi Don,

I've moved your thread to this Forum where the pros\cons of both programs can be discussed.

1)Spyware Doctor is more in line with programs such as AdAware, Spybot S&D, Spysweeper....in that their main purpose is to clean a system of Adware\Spyware. While I have tested Spyware Doctor....I personally would not put it on the same quality level as the other Top Tier programs I mentioned....as of yet.

2)SpywareBlaster is a set and for get program. You select All or particular ActiveX components, Restricted Sites and Cookies you want blocked....the program merges those settings into the registry and you then close the program down.

3. Azn_Tweaker

Azn_Tweaker Registered Member

spywareblaster Better :D

4. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

me too I guess spywareblaster better...

5. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

Thanks for your help.

Here I have installed pestpatrol and spysweeper too at home. Nowadays, it's to hard to decide what programs we must have installed in our computer.For example: At my job, there's a computer using the cleaner, pestpatrol, and PC-Cillin Internet Security.Is too strange when you see that scanning your computer with antivirus, and having enabled the cleaner and pestpatrol everyday, we found a keylogger only when we scan our computer with pest patrol.I just don't understand that even with using these 3 program together and in the same time, none of them alert me about that keylogger.There's another programs that can catch these keylogger on the fly ? At my job we had installed spysweeper then uninstalled it, change it for pest patrol and today when I tried spydoctor, it found 2 adware that I supose the cleaner or pest patrol should alert me. They didn't detect it ( all programs are up to date).What advice can you give me ?

My configurations are: Win XP SP1, Fire Fox 0.93, Outpost Firewall Pro 2.1, Nod32 Beta version,Tauscan 1.7, Spysweeper 3.0 and Pest Patrol.

Best Regards,

DonKid.

6. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi DonKid...

As Bubba pointed out, SpywareBlaster is a different kettle of fish to other "spyware" programs.... it's nothing to do with detection/scanning/deleting, etc at all.

Just to clarify a bit further for you :)

It's "job description" is once you have installed/updated and then Enabled Protection, it sets what are called "killbits" into your registry, so that any spyware/malware that may try to 'write' to the registry cannot do so, as SpywareBlaster has aready set "killbits" stopping this. [As long as these are listed in SWB's database of course].

The only thing you have to to, is check say weekly, the Update of SWB to include more setting in database. It's like an "In-Active" program, set and forget.

All of the other programs that Bubba mentioned, are the "Pro-Active" ones, you actually scan to find stuff.

Most do not have 'Real Time' protection, although some have extra features added. [Some you have to pay for].
    AdAware has AdWatch [paid for in PLUS and PRO versions]
    Spybot Search and Destroy has 'TeaTimer' [free]
    Spy Sweeper has RTM [Paid for]
    Others, I do not know.

Also, the recognised "Top 3" IMO are [not in any order]
    AdAware
    Spybot S&D
    Spy Sweeper by Webroot.

Some others are what we may call "WOW" factor.... you may do an online scan by one of them, it "sees" all this nasty stuff, but cannot remove until you purchase the product. You are "Wowed" into buying it. ;)

AVOID those. IMO.

Cheers, TAS

7. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

Hi Tassie,

Thanks a lot for your help.

I´ll install spywareblaster and as I already have Spysweeper 3.0, maybe I could reinstall it again or give a try with AD Aware SE Pro, the new one, or Spybot Search & Destroy.

Best Regards,

DonKid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.