Spyware Blaster. Custom Blocking.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by habari42, May 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. habari42

habari42 Registered Member

Hi. I'm aware that there was a thread on this subject about 18 months ago but I don't remember seeing a really definitive answer to this particular question. Every time I run a Spybot scan it records 2 entries for CoolWWWSearch.SmartSearch and 4 entries for MySoft. I would like to put these into Spyware Blaster's Custom Blocking but need the appropriate CLSIDs. The perennial question is, how can I find these elusive references,please.? There must be a CLSID "factory" somewhere.!! Cheers, Haba. o_O

2. dog

dog Guest

Hi Haba, ;)

Tony Klein's CLSID List is available at Castle Cops. But I don't think it's applicable in this case, as generally the findings you mention aren't actually related to CLSIDs at all, but are usually re-directs Spybot flags in your hosts file. To clear this up, could you post the results from Spybot S&D regarding these findings.

If there entries are similar to this, they aren't at all related to CLSIDs, but are things Spybot is flagging from your hosts file:
    Which would be safe to have Spybot set to ignore these single entries. But please do post the findings so we can be absolutely clear on what they are and we can then advise you further.

Regards,

Steve

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

In case that thread is relevant....are you recalling this 18 months from memory....or do have a link to this 18 month old thread ?
    Along the same guestioning as Dog....are you still using the program called Spyblocker....which creates it's own Hosts file ?

Also....which version of Spyblocker(if installed)....and which version of Spybot ?

The below results is after just now installing the latest version of Spyblocker....and then a Spybot result:

Attached Files:

4. habari42

Hi,Steve. Thanks for your response,including the Castle Cops link. There is plenty of information there but do you know how comprehensive the list is and if there are any other sources of this sort of information.? Please have a look at my reply to Bubba regarding the other aspects of your posting.

Cheers, Haba. *puppy*

5. JRosenfeld

JRosenfeld Registered Member

Bubba,

Why would Spyblocker redirect sunbelt-software.com (counterspy is OK)
    or Altavista.com (search engine)
    and some of the others seem OK rto me.

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I agree with you about some of those entries being ok IMHO....but I have no clue why the programmers of Spyblocker have those sites in it's Hosts file :doubt:

7. habari42

Hi,Bubba. Yours of today 01:53pm refers. This is the link you asked for:---"How to add custom CLSID's to block with SpywareBlaster" (Sorry,for some reason I just can't make it a "working" link.!!) I still have Spyblocker Version 8.7 and my Spybot is Version 1.3.1TX. I'm mystified to see that the last part of your posting has disappeared but your screenshot of Spybot results was identical to mine, except that some of the Coolweb and MySoft URLS varied from the entries I get. Cheers, Haba, o_O

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I'm not sure what you are meaning....my post # 3 has not been altered since I made it this AM :doubt:
    Ok....we need to get on the same page with each other in regards to what has been explained to you concerning Spyblockers Hosts file and Spybot. Are you understanding that Spyblocker has created a Hosts file....and Spybot is finding some of those Hosts file entries during it's scan....and why it's finding them :doubt:

Also....since this Hosts issue has nothing to do with Spywareblaster....I have moved it to a more appropriate Forum to continue the troubleshooting.

If you still have questions concerning Spywareblaster and adding CLSID entries to it's Custom Blocking feature....feel free to start a thread in that Forum for discussion.

Regards,
    Bubba

9. habari42

Hi Bubba. I was referring to the reversed thread below the "Reply to Thread" page, where the last part of your post is chopped-off, although I noticed afterwards that it is intact in the original thread.!!

QUOTE>"Are you understanding that Spyblocker has created a Hosts file....and Spybot is finding some of those Hosts file entries during it's scan....and why it's finding them."

I must admit that I am not at all clear about the creation and function of Hosts files and would appreciate any clarification. To save me faffing about,could you give me a link to the "more appropriate forum",please.?
    Cheers, Haba.

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

If after reading the below info in the below links you still have questions....Please ask....we'll do what we can to explain.

Hosts file links:
    What is the Hosts file?
    Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File
    Setting up a Hosts File

This Privacy Software Forum that your thread is in right now is about as appropriate as it gets.

11. habari42

Thanks Bubba. I have read thru: the information at your links and although a lot of it was over my head, I now have a reasonable understanding of the Hosts function. My understanding regarding the particular Spybot scan entries previously mentioned is that some of them are being picked-up from Spyblocker's Hosts file and are,in affect,(and despite Spyblocker's opinions), "false positives" whilst others (eg.the Coolweb entries) are not. I have previously stopped the repetious appearance of the "FPs" by adding them to Skyblocker's Unblocked URLs list but this means I am risking being wrong in my judgement in separating the goodies from the baddies.!! I would prefer to add the confirmed baddies to Blaster's Custom Blocking list but this requires the relative CLSIDs. Steve's Castle Cops link is very useful but I wonder how comprehensive it is and if there are any other sources of this information.? Cheers, Haba. o_O

12. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

If you don't have a good understanding Please ask.
    IMHO....you should not be "adding them to Skyblocker's Unblocked URLs list"....but instead you need to exclude those entries from being seen by Spybot during a scan by either excluding the Product....or excluding an individual Redirected host entry....as shown in pic below. They are simply Hosts file re-directs that Spybot is erroneously burping on.

Related thread:
    Spyblocker Host File False Positive ?

I'm not sure how best to explain this considering my past attempts are not sinking in. These items you are concerned about do not have a way to be added....nor are they intended to be added to Blaster's Custom Blocking list.

Adding entries to Spybot's exclude feature:

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2005
  13. habari42

Sorry for the lack of response Bubba--I have been shut down for a while. Thanks yet again. I can see that what you said above is a complete answer to my issue but although I've studied Tutorials,Help and Index, I can't find any way to bring up the "Exclude this Detection -------" Menu shown in your screenshots. If you could tell me please,this thread can close. I guess that could be an insentive for you,as I've been a bit of a bonehead. !!! Cheers, Haba. :D

14. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Well I'm the King of boneheads....and besides....we don't close threads such as this. We simply let them play on and continue learning :cool:
    As it is with most programs....you right click an entry with your mouse and make your selection from the Menu.

15. habari42

Quote [....you right click an entry with your mouse and make your selection from the Menu. ]
    I was clicking away on every button in sight - completely forgetting the right click.!! Perhaps I should get out my knitting for a whlle. !! All is well in that department now but it's useful that the thread isn't closed as I have another related query,please. My Spybot scans have been recording various "Error during check" messages, such as "Dy\FUCA.InternetOptimiser[130](Access violation at address 0057CESE in module SP------". Do these have any significance or can they be ignored.? Regards, Haba. o_O

16. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

We do try to keep problems separated....so if you do not mind....start another thread in this same Privacy Software forum about that "query" Please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.