Spyware 3.1 disabling protection problem

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by The Dean, May 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Dean

The Dean Registered Member

I downloaded the most recent update on 5/15. After that update 22 restricted sites were not disabled. I checlked all and hit the button to disable, but the 22 remained un-disabled (abled?). Anyway, they stay red and the check marks are removed from the boxes.

Any ideas/answers? Thanks in advance.

Oh, using ME (yes, I know). 3.1 also takes FOREVER to load. Is that normal? I never had problems with the older version.

2. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi The Dean,

I am not sure I understand what you mean. On the Status screen, under the Quick Tasks, did you check the Enable All Protection, or the Disable All Protection ?

Right now there are 2921 items in the database, and if you click on the Enable All Protection then both the Internet Explorer protection and the Restricted Sites protection will show a 0 (which means you are fully protected for all 2921 items).

snap

3. The Dean

I enabled all protection. I have "0" in Explorer (and Mozilla) but 22 items remain in Restricted Sites.

4. The Dean

For what it's worth, now 57 items in restricted sites have disabled protection even though I've enabled all protection, and selected all within the restricted sites area and clicked the "protect against checked items" So Spyblaster is actually enabling protection for items it previously disabled. Should i uninstall and reinstall?

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Before re-installing....via the Restricted Sites section of SpywareBlaster try unchecking the box....Restrict the actions of spyware/ad/tracking sites....etc.....then recheck it and then select Protect Against Checked Items.

6. The Dean

Thanks, Bubba...but, no luck. I'm going to re-install this weekend (it's on my dad's computer at his house and I don't have time to do it tonight). Maybe it will improve Spyblaster's loading...it takes FOREVER. Funny, I never had these problems with the old version.

7. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

The Dean,

Take a look at this thread:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=32264

There appears to be a condition with Mozilla where it's configuration file grows to many megabytes in size and needs to be cleaned. With it that big, it takes SpywareBlaster a long time to parse through it. Look for the registry.dat file as noted in that thread and let us know how big it is. (That specific thread is about when it got so big that SpywareBlaster ended with an error condition, but there are a couple other threads where it was just very slow / long to load.)

8. The Dean

Thanks, LW. When I get back to my father's place, I'll check it out. As he doesn't use Mozilla, maybe I should just not use that protection. Any problems with that?

It looks like I'll have to re-install as no one has been able to help me solve the Restricted Sites issue.

But I DO appreciate the suggestions. Thanks.

9. The Dean

OK, here's where I'm at (if anyone cares ;) .

Renamed the Mozilla registry.dat and that took care of the slow load. (Thanks, Low Water).

Uninstalled Spyware Blaster. Reinstalled Spyware Blaster. Ran the manual update. Enabled all protection and:

In Restricted Sites, 57 items have protection disabled.

Also tried unchecking and rechecking the "restrict the actions" box, selecting all and clicking protect against selected items with the same result...no luck.

BTW, 57 items was the same number of disabled items I had before the reinstall.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Dean....do you have any sites in your Trusted Zone and are you running any other software that places sites in the Restricted Zone ?

Suggestion....if you can reproduce your Trusted Sites list if any....export the below reg key and then blow away\delete that reg key that holds all Domains\Sub-Domain reg entries for the Trusted and Restricted Zone. Re-boot and re-run SpywareBlaster.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains

11. The Dean

Bubba, there are no sites in my Trusted Zone according to the Internet Options.

I run the free version of AVG anti-virus...does that place sites in the Trusted Zone?

Should I still try that registry key? If so how do Iexport/install/copy it and to where?

thanks for trying.

12. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

If there are no sites in Trusted Zone via Internet Options I would assume Avg does not place sites there ?

Once you are running regedit....click on the plus sign next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER and continue selecting the plus sign as you follow the remaining keys....Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains . Once you get to the Domains key....at the top menu area of regedit select Registry\Export Registry File....name the file(Domains for example) and save it for safe keeping in a temp folder of your choice just in case you want to import it back. Once you have exported the Domains reg key....highlight that key and delete that key. If by chance this is something you'd rather not do I understand and if you want I will make a reg file that will accomplish this for you.

Bubba

13. The Dean

Sorry to be so dense here. I believe I can do what you suggest on my own. But, if there are no sites in the Trusted Zone, will this do anything to help?

I won't be able to get to this till later tonight or sometime this weekend. So, I'll check back.

Thanks, again.

14. The Dean

Bubba, you rule! Great help in both forums. I appreciate it. Everything seems to be AOK. Thanks.

-The Dean

15. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Your welcome and I'm glad it worked for ya....if it hadn't I'd be in deep trouble :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.