Spysweeper (?)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by SG1, Sep 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Anyone use this much?

While many think sometimes the mags go "Ooo-oooh" over product/client that spends most ad dollars with the mag, right or wrong, it just seems to be a big, ugly kludge that MUST FORCE your browser to their page for updates to tell you that you have/don't have latest build whereas most apps are more refined. On this PC, it tends to blank out its own and browser interface, til it releases you, when done with updates. And, seems it ALWAYS has 1-2 processes going, if the app's on, or not.

Never finds anything, nor do other security apps, so I'm kind of thinking about unloading that when current sub runs out.

Anyone else think about the same, OR is it really super duper pooper picker upper, like mags claim it is?

2. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Regardless of what you read in PC Mag and on Gizmo's, SS has mediocre detection rates against real-world malware. All of the shields make for a bloated application, and the optional Sophos AV is lackluster at best.

In case you haven't read this yet: Why bad management scared off the Spy Sweeper maker's core team

FWIW I have a valid SS subscription so I am not just anti-fanboi. :p

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I group ss with pestpatrol & counterspy. Heavy handed pos apps.

4. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I dropped Spysweeper back when 5.0 came out and never looked back.
    There are far superior anti spyware apps paid or free.
    Do yourself a favor and move on.

5. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Thanks for link, & replies. Yeah, time to move on from that "heavy" sucker. Apparently, not the easiest to uninstall; can't even kill the one .exe under services.msc and AutoRuns makes it look like SS has a no. of items hooked into bowels of the ship, hither and yon. Ergh, hate that.

6. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I've used Spysweeper for years, and regardless of other critics, it's still The Top rated Anti-Spyware to date. Also why are you worried that it never finds anything o_O Dont you think the reason it doesnt find anything is because its already prevented whatever from installing itself? Even if it does find the Occasional Nasty, it will immediately prompt you to scan your Computer from any traces that may have gotten through :ninja: The fact remains this, every running program uses resources on your Computer,and theres nothing you can do to prevent this, Some claim to use less than others but lets be realistic, combined with everything else running on your PC they all use bassically the same, they have to, or they just wouldnt be doing their job. Dependant on the type of processor your PC has some will scan faster with the amount of RAM your PC allocates to that program. A rule of thumb is generally to have no more than 6 programs actively running simultaniously at one time when your PC starts up, the more, the less performance your going to get from your PC, Thats a fact of life and again nothing to do with an individual process. Think of your PC as a Car engine, the more you push it to the limit the less mileage your going to get from it :cautious: The same goes for your PC, its not an invincible piece of machinery it will eventually degrade.

7. EliteKiller

Unfortunately that couldn't be further from the truth. In fact it's so far out in left field that it doesn't warrant a detailed explanation. o_O

8. The_1337

The_1337 Registered Member

imo, it's the most bloated AS right behind spyware doctor. i used to have it on all the time, but my pc coudlnt handle it, so i only use it about twice a month to scan.

9. TVH

TVH Registered Member

I still use spy sweeper as an on demand scanner only. It really is the best antispyware app in terms of detection, but is a resource hog.

10. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Shows how much you know then doesnt it :cautious:

11. EliteKiller

Anyone that claims SS uses the same amount of resources as SAS needs to have their head examined. o_O

AV-test.org doesn't seem to think SS is all that impressive anymore. :doubt:

I am not anti-Spy Sweeper, in fact I have a valid subscription for another year. The fact of the matter is that I service dozens of hosed pc's each and every week, so I have a good idea of what constitutes a bloated anti-malware application. Not to mention it's relatively easy to see SS and SD fall flat on their face when it comes to hard to remove malware. ;)

Then again I suppose we all have brand loyalty and opinions, right?

12. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Well its a matter of you use what you like :) personally SpySweeper has never let me down, And then again personally SAS did let me down, and it still does, with the developers utter stubborness and false promises to make it 100% FULLY operational with Vista, by this I mean Registering as Installed in Windows Vista Security Center, Updating without having to give the updater elevated permission in Vista UAC, and Bassically whatever you say, still using unexceptable CPU 30000k + is not good enough for me, and I repeat, "Not Good Enough..."For Me!"

Its been 10+ months since I first enquired about my Concerns, and the only Answer is We'll deal with it in due course. If you had that Attitude in My Company, you would now be Unemployed :cautious:

13. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

Not my first choice by a long shot...
    Bloated and inflexible is what I would describe it as. Besides for your $$$ I would not currently classifies it as the best investment available in commercial Anti spyware tools.

However this seems to be just my own opinions since many who are more deeply absorbed in these types of products still highly recommend it...
    As in here: http://www.2-spyware.com/compare.php

I would agree that It's first choice is still one of the Best (Spyware Dr) however I'm recently seeing a lot of users whose computers start to crawl after a while because of problems with the Spyware Dr Service, dropping off and constantly attempting to restart and failing. Doing so sucking from 45 to 60 %t processing power, effectively disabling these pc's from performing any meaningful tasks. The only remedy is to completely remove the product + reboot and then re-install. This usually solves the issue. No clearly define cause has been identified on my end yet(Perhaps a faulty service?).

I guess this simply demonstrates that even the most highly rated products are prone to trouble...

Just a passing thought!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
  14. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

:gack: Kinda of funny those reviews,if you follow the download trails from the site/reviews keep a look for affiliate download links and hosted downloads with source identifiers.You will then realise that that site is making $'s out of most downloads of their reccomended/reviewed software:rolleyes:

FWIW I'm always weary of tests/results published by a site that stand to gain financially by promoting their findings:cautious:

15. 37morris8

37morris8 Registered Member

==========================================================
    Spysweeper OK I run it with spybot S & D ,Ad-Aware SE,CWShredder,Spyware Termater got bad spyware only CWSredder & Spyware Termater Fix it all find some. all are good hope it help.

16. Thiggy

Thiggy Registered Member

I have used Spysweeper in the past and uninstalled it before the subscription ran out. It seemed to slow things down a bit. I switched to SUPERAntiSpyware Pro and haven't looked back. SAS doesn't offer the cookie cutter like SS, but does what I need. Currently running NOD32, SAS and ProSecurity at the same time and can't tell any of them are running on my XP Pro box; no slow downs, etc., nothing, just protection. For cookie control, I use IE Privacy Keeper to delete unwanted cookies along with temp internet files each time the browser is closed.

17. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

I want to personally address your comments. We have never made any false promises. We receive literally hundreds of suggestions per week regarding the product. All suggestions are placed on our suggestion/wish list, and then we evaluate them and prioritize the suggestions for possible inclusion into future versions of the product.

For instance, our upcoming 4.0 version does feature full integration into the security center. However, we place our focus on detecting and removing the latest harmful threats and staying on top of emerging zero-day threats, so some of the user interface enhancements may be included in later versions of the product.

Regarding your "stubbornness" comment. Just because we won't jump around just to implement features that you wish to have does not mean we are stubborn - as the leader of SUPERAntiSpyware.com, my job is to make sure we ALWAYS do what is best for OUR USERS as a collective whole, not just single users. I will always place priority on detection and removal vs user interface and extras. For instance, the non-integration into the security center does not alter our products ability to detect and remove harmful malware from your computer.

As far as our memory usage, 30MB is well inline with other products and lower than many products. If you are using Task Manager to measure the memory used, that is not an accurate representation as Task Manager does not measure kernel memory usage by kernel drivers, which is where several of the other anti-virus and anti-malware products do a bulk of their work as well as us a bulk of their memory. Windows also swaps out unused memory, so the amount memory used does not always have a direct impact on your system or the performance of the system.

I respect that fact that you may not like SUPERAntiSpyware, but please don't post that we falsely promise items as that is not true.

You also made the comment regarding "If you had that Attitude in My Company, you would now be Unemployed". Would you mind sharing with me, and the group, as to the company you run, the number of users and client base, and how long you have been running/owning/leading the company (or other companies)?

My stats are as follows 4+ million users (SUPERAntiSpyware), growing daily, and 25 years in the industry - I use this extensive experience to guide me in evaluating user's suggestions, our own suggestions as well as providing and implmenting the features/benefits that best benefit our users as a whole.

18. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

An unrelated question: I bought a 2 year subscription almost 2 years ago, and am wondering if Webroot will pull the auto renewal thing like PC Tools, where they send you an e-mail telling you they just hit your visa for a renewal for another year. Or do they make you aware your subscription is almost up and remind you to renew?

19. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I can't comment on Pestpatrol or CS, but SS had to be the biggest pos antispyware app I couldn't get rid of fast enough.

20. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

LOL. And to think I could have gotten a copy for free after rebate. ;)

21. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

And you would have still been overcharged. :D

22. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I used it for awhile, but found it too intrusive, and too many pop ups.
    Jerry

23. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Off Topic post removed. Please stay on topic, which is Spysweeper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.