Spysweeper software conflicts...Need suggestions

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by shane1975, Aug 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shane1975

shane1975 Registered Member

I need a rundown on Webroot's Spysweeper. I purchased a two year subscription after I bought my new computer on the "recommendation" of a friend. He said it is the best anti-spyware product out there. That was back on July 5th. I then went out of town on business for a little over a month and am now back home and settled in and just fired up my new computer yesterday. I installed my favorite Internet Security software (ZoneAlarm Internet Security 7) and updated it. I then proceeded to install webroot spysweeper 5.5, all is good until I started to reboot and got the BSOD. I then booted up in safe mode and uninstalled spysweeper. I reboot and everything is fine again. I then disable zonealarm from starting up on the next reboot and then reboot. I then proceed to re-install spysweeper and then reboot this time successfully. I then enable zonealarm to start when Windows Vista does and it seems for now both ZoneAlarm and Spysweeper are living in harmony. So I go searching some tech forums and I learn about all these software conflicts with Zonealarm and SpySweeper. I wish I could get my money back from Webroot ($39) but it is passed the 30 day refund mark. So I REALLY want to make this Spysweeper work without any serious interference with ZoneAlarm Security Suite. So finally my question is: Would it be best to just use Spysweeper as an on-demand scanner only or should I leave it as is and hope both ZoneAlarm and Spysweeper play nice together?

2. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Try disabling the antispyware-component in ZASS to see if it is conflicting with SS first, b4 using SS as an on-demand scanner.

3. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@shane1975
    :ouch: take the hit and move on.
    ( LOL I did with 8 months subs left)
    You'll spend more time pfaffing with SS than it's worth: just out of tenacity. :p
    Get your friend to cough up the $ :D

4. 19monty64

One could also recommend replacing the ZASS-components one-by-one :shifty:

5. shane1975

did you uninstall it completely or are you using it as an on demand scanner only?

I just don't wanna throw away $39 :p I submitted a ticket asking for a refund but from what I have read on other forums is that it is nearly impossible to get a refund from them after the first 30 days. And I also have to figure out how to cancel that automatic renewal they force you into when you purchase online :mad: they don't give you a choice in that matter but they do tell you you can contact them to cancel the renewal but they don't tell you how or who to contact :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

6. shane1975

lol, I have received this response on the other 3 tech forums I posted at today :isay:

I would if I could find a firewall as good as zonealarm's paid editions....(the free zonealarm version doesn't have outbound protection, OS protection or wireless security.)

Any (freeware) recommendations? *puppy*

7. 19monty64

1st-Check out the "Other Firewalls Sticky Posts" 2nd-Use the "Search" function for safe-removal instructions. I used ZA (as a noob) until I tried un/re-install.

8. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

hey shane
    Complete removal and ploughed the ground :D
    search wilders for SS threads, you'll see: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/search.php?searchid=1750302
    Go to the SS forum at CastleCops
    Developed into bloated crapware imo
    SuperAntiSpyWAre is arguably a better od scanner

:blink: Isn't that reason enough ?
    You've already spent hours on this: get the picture ;)

You'll find heaps of discussions at the firewall forum here as noted

FYI: some testing http://www.matousec.com/ ( search here for discussions: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/search.php?searchid=1750314 )

Comodo PF has been getting attention: http://www.comodo.com/news/press_releases/09_08_07.html
    I don't use it but it has been getting support here and there.
    There is a free version of Online Armour
    http://tallemu.com/comparisons.html

There is literally thousands of posts where where experienced users discuss aspects of FW free and otherwise > if ZA is your pick stick with it

Good Luck

9. shane1975

Longboard,

I have uninstalled SpySweeper completely and my computer is running like it should...fast! I have requested a refund from webroot. It will probably take forever to get a response :cautious: :p

I now only have ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite 7.1 installed. I have been using this suite for the past two years and I should have just stayed with a sure thing :oops:

Oh well...live and learn :)

Happy trails!....:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.