Spysweeper software conflicts...Need suggestions

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by shane1975, Aug 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shane1975

shane1975 Registered Member

I need a rundown on Webroot's Spysweeper. I purchased a two year subscription after I bought my new computer on the "recommendation" of a friend. He said it is the best anti-spyware product out there. That was back on July 5th. I then went out of town on business for a little over a month and am now back home and settled in and just fired up my new computer yesterday. I installed my favorite Internet Security software (ZoneAlarm Internet Security 7) and updated it. I then proceeded to install webroot spysweeper 5.5, all is good until I started to reboot and got the BSOD. I then booted up in safe mode and uninstalled spysweeper. I reboot and everything is fine again. I then disable zonealarm from starting up on the next reboot and then reboot. I then proceed to re-install spysweeper and then reboot this time successfully. I then enable zonealarm to start when Windows Vista does and it seems for now both ZoneAlarm and Spysweeper are living in harmony. So I go searching some tech forums and I learn about all these software conflicts with Zonealarm and SpySweeper. I wish I could get my money back from Webroot ($39) but it is passed the 30 day refund mark. So I REALLY want to make this Spysweeper work without any serious interference with ZoneAlarm Security Suite. So finally my question is: Would it be best to just use Spysweeper as an on-demand scanner only or should I leave it as is and hope both ZoneAlarm and Spysweeper play nice together?

2. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Try disabling the antispyware-component in ZASS to see if it is conflicting with SS first, b4 using SS as an on-demand scanner.

3. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@shane1975
    :ouch: take the hit and move on.
    ( LOL I did with 8 months subs left)
    You'll spend more time pfaffing with SS than it's worth: just out of tenacity. :p
    Get your friend to cough up the $ :D

4. 19monty64

One could also recommend replacing the ZASS-components one-by-one :shifty:

5. shane1975

did you uninstall it completely or are you using it as an on demand scanner only?

I just don't wanna throw away $39 :p I submitted a ticket asking for a refund but from what I have read on other forums is that it is nearly impossible to get a refund from them after the first 30 days. And I also have to figure out how to cancel that automatic renewal they force you into when you purchase online :mad: they don't give you a choice in that matter but they do tell you you can contact them to cancel the renewal but they don't tell you how or who to contact :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

6. shane1975

lol, I have received this response on the other 3 tech forums I posted at today :isay:

I would if I could find a firewall as good as zonealarm's paid editions....(the free zonealarm version doesn't have outbound protection, OS protection or wireless security.)

Any (freeware) recommendations? *puppy*

7. 19monty64

1st-Check out the "Other Firewalls Sticky Posts" 2nd-Use the "Search" function for safe-removal instructions. I used ZA (as a noob) until I tried un/re-install.

8. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

hey shane
    Complete removal and ploughed the ground :D
    search wilders for SS threads, you'll see: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/search.php?searchid=1750302
    Go to the SS forum at CastleCops
    Developed into bloated crapware imo
    SuperAntiSpyWAre is arguably a better od scanner

:blink: Isn't that reason enough ?
    You've already spent hours on this: get the picture ;)

You'll find heaps of discussions at the firewall forum here as noted

FYI: some testing http://www.matousec.com/ ( search here for discussions: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/search.php?searchid=1750314 )

Comodo PF has been getting attention: http://www.comodo.com/news/press_releases/09_08_07.html
    I don't use it but it has been getting support here and there.
    There is a free version of Online Armour
    http://tallemu.com/comparisons.html

There is literally thousands of posts where where experienced users discuss aspects of FW free and otherwise > if ZA is your pick stick with it

Good Luck

9. shane1975

Longboard,

I have uninstalled SpySweeper completely and my computer is running like it should...fast! I have requested a refund from webroot. It will probably take forever to get a response :cautious: :p

I now only have ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite 7.1 installed. I have been using this suite for the past two years and I should have just stayed with a sure thing :oops:

Oh well...live and learn :)

Happy trails!....:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.