Spysweeper is too slow, want different

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dnewhous, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dnewhous

dnewhous Registered Member

I know that nothing will catch everything but I am looking for the best antispyware program that doesn't gum up Internet Explorer. I am currently using Kaspersky 7, have a subscription to Trojan Hunter, and I have Spysweeper. Spysweeper makes web browsing run like molasses in January and I can't stand it anymore. Kaspersky and TrojanHunter are very transparent. I see that Spyware Doctor is recommended by PC Magazine but it has abysmal user ratings.

I don't want freeware. I don't trust freeware. I used to have tons of spyware on my computer before I started looking into the field. It started with the free version of Ad-aware. I bought Pestpatrol back before they got bought out and emaciated (once upon a time, it was good software).

2. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

3. Thiggy

Thiggy Registered Member

You might like SUPERAntiSpyware Pro. It has really excellent user satisfaction. Give it a try. You'll find it at www.superantispyware.com. I run it realtime with NOD32 AV, there is no slowdown for any aspect, at all. Nada.

Oh, just noticed I'm seconding SAS. :D

4. HURST

HURST Registered Member

another vote for SuperAntispyware here :thumb:

5. dNor

dNor Registered Member

SAS Pro seems to fit your bill of recommendations perfectly. The free version doesn't offer real time protection, but the paid version does.

Both feature excellent anti-spyware capabilities, and I can say first hand that it's a top notch program in every aspect, including: resource usage, features, capabilties, and support.

Couple it with something like BOClean and some immunizations and you're rockin.

6. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

SAS Pro is a good choice.
    You could look at CounterSpy also.

7. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I can see why you don't trust freeware after having Ad-aware. Pest Patrol ? You meen there was a time when it was good ? :rolleyes:
    A good part of my setup is free and I believe i'm pretty secure.
    But if you want to pay for your security that's your choice.
    In that case I would suggest SAS Pro.
    But I would also suggest BOClean and SAS free, a good combo IMO.
    FWIW I tried Spyware doctor some time ago and was not impressed in the least.

8. dnewhous

dnewhous Registered Member

Pestpatrol 4 was a wonky, written for geeks application with loads of information about each threat detected - it would take you to their web site and give a history of the threat, and it picked up more (valid) material than Spysweeper. What really got me turned on is that is recognized a non-essential part of Roger Wilco (online gaming voice software) as spyware. But the follow up, version 5 which came after the buyout was pathetic.

9. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Just from my personal experience: I have a decent CPU, 512 MB RAM, an antivirus, a software firewall, 2 or three antispyware programs with active protection, I use the Spy Sweeper in combination with IE 7, and browsing is fast ! I don't know your system, or 'Trojanhunter', but Kaspersky or some combination might slow it down for you.

Ethically, I feel obligated to refer to this (although it seems possible to 'opt out'): http://sunbeltblog.blogspot.com/2007/10/well-this-is-interesting.html

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.