Spysweeper Hosts Shield or My own Setup?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Gigabyte, Apr 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gigabyte

Gigabyte Registered Member

I know that Spysweeper has a problem with large Hosts files,so should I use their hosts file shield or use something like hostsman w/ the files from Mvps. I stay on clean sites,so I was wondering if their shield would be ok to use.SS only protects like 600,I think. I had used some hosts file with 50K+. Thanks

2. adam777

adam777 Registered Member

Not an expert opinion, but I think you can simply use the MVPS host and overwrite it every now and then...

3. Gigabyte

Yeah. Hostsman will let me check for newer files,but do I need 50K+ if SS will do the job with their shield?

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

different HOSTS files will block different sites. tho i dont use SS, id choose HostsMan anyways. it gives me better control and i like teh MVPS hosts.

5. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi

I use SS & lock the MVPS host file using Zone Alarm Pro, check your firewall perhaps it will lock your host file.

Take Care
    rico

6. Gigabyte

Yeah. hostsman locks the files also.

7. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi Gigabyte,

I use both Spy Sweeper and MVPS Hosts w/o hostman (I should check that out) and have the same problem of a hosts file that is too large - used to run one that was up to 1.4MB.

Called Webroot support on the issue and they told me the limit is 5000 records in their software for the Hosts file.

-- Tom

8. Gigabyte

Yeah. Hostsman is really a neat program. You can check a couple of places for hosts file updates. As for support from Webroot,I have notified them numerous times and everytime they tell me they are working on it.:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.