SpySweeper Freezing comp- Hard ware problem or software conflict?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by eniqmah, May 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

Hi,
    Every time I run Spysweeper v5 (latest revision), it would sweep fine for a few minute until it gets to a certain file and locks up the PC. More specifically, when I run a full scan and it freezes, I would see that it is scanning ntdll.dll. But if I were to scan ntdll.dll by rightclicking and scanning, it scans it fine. What makes this peculiar is that it would freeze everytime it gets to that particular file. So, I went and downloaded and replaced the file with an older version (thinking that windows updates may have caused the conflict).
    It would now freeze when it gets to ATITool.exe.
    I ran a full scan without problems in safemode as well.
    It would seem that whatever file occupies that space in the RAM would crash the computer. Implying that it is a hard ware issue. My computer is overclocked and the RAM passes Memtest.
    Any ideas?

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

there was a bug in the old 4.5 spysweeper that froze in the middle of the scan and could never complete a scan.
    so it guess it might not of been completely fixed.
    do you only use spysweeper for ondemand?
    or do you use it for realtime as well?
    if its only scanning you might as well replace it with superantispyware free version and move on.
    but if your over clocking the pc then that could be the issue.
    what make is your ram?
    most ram has a life time warrenty.
    lodore

3. eniqmah

Hi,
    I use OCZ RAM. The fact that it is able to finish the scan in safemode leads me to believe that it is not RAM issue. But again, when one file or another file does this, it would seem to be RAM problem (freezes occur, presumably, in the same memory location because it's around the 1100th file that freezes)
    I can scan fine with spyware crappter v5. I will heed your advice and replace it with SuperDuperANtispyware.
    I neglected to mention that I run Mcafee enterprise v8.5i with the antispyware module. In the past, Mcafee v8.0i has known conflict with spysweeper v4.9, but it has been resolved with some patch. A lot of searching with no significant results. Webroot support is about as competent as "reinstall the product: support ticket closed". :(

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

ime/o ss is a pos.

5. eniqmah

it has worked well in the past...every software has its time in the sun I think.

6. eniqmah

I installed and ran a successful scan with SuperAntiSpy. I then installed and ran AVG-Antispyware and the same problem occured: frozen system. The module responsible for this particular crash was different from the other modules mentioned earlier. . ..... My laptop currently runs VSE 8.0i patch 15 and has no conflicts with Spysweeper or Superantispyware. I mucked around the event viewer, but it would seem that when the computer freezes, nothing gets recorded.
    Any ideas?

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

firstly delete the paging file.
    reboot and create a new one.
    it could be a corropt paging file.
    if that dont help change the clocking of the ram.
    lodore

8. eniqmah

Tried this,
    Didnt work.
    I think it has something to do with the built-in antivirus features. Other scanners that don't have the antivirus feature can run a scan without problem. ( Superantispyware, spyware doctor, spybot) They all run fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.