Spysweeper definitions won't update

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Big_Al, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big_Al

Big_Al Registered Member

As part of their service, my ISP (ATT Worldnet) provides a free download of Spysweeper (a product of Webroot Software Inc.). Their current version is 3.5, which I have. For several months, I have been unable to download updates to the Spysweeper definitions file. The download is always aborted with the following error message:

"Your spyware definitions have been corrupted. Your backup definitions will be restored. This problem is most likely being caused by an incompatibility with a firewall product . . ."

I have tried to update the definitions with my firewall and anti-virus disabled, but get the same message.

I reported this problem to Webroot. They replied that other users had reported the same problem, and that technicians were working on a solution. They suggested I download the program files again and re-install; they also sent me a copy of their current definitions file. After following all their instructions, the problem still persists. I reported this to Webroot, but they no longer respond. If I try to do a status check on the problem number, I receive a message that I am not authorized to view this information (ticket #693-1614305).

I am using AdAware and SpyBot Search and Destroy in the meantime.

System is Windows ME, Sygate Personal Firewall, Norton anti-virus 2005.

Sorry for the lengthy post. Has anyone else had similar problems?

2. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Hi Big_Al & welcome to Wilders, :D
    Never had any problems downloading definitions, but I'm not using 3.5, instead I'm using the latest paid version 5.0.7 build 1608 :)
    Since drivers are loaded at startup, disabling your firewall or anti-virus won't provide an satisfying solution, because those drivers could interfere. :doubt:

Have you tried Safe Mode with internet connection, enable your firewall, but not your antivirus?

Else uninstalling Sygate and trying it with another firewall, like Kerio, OutPost, ZoneAlarm, Comodo or another one you like. :cool:
    It would be best to send them an email, since you're experiencing problems with their ticket service.
    Any chance you're running Spybot's Teatimer as well, because it could interfere.

These are just some suggestions, but you'll probably get others too.

Hope your problem will get solved, so good luck. ;)

3. Big_Al

Big_Al Registered Member

Disabled was a poor choice of words on my part. The antivirus, firewall and Spybot (teatimer) programs were not loaded at the time.

Your suggestion to try again from Safe mode sounds like a good idea. I'll give that a shot.

I looked for a good address to email Webroot at their site, but didn't see one. It seems that the only way to register a complaint is via the "ticket" route. Been there, done that.

Thanks for the quick reply.

4. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

The only address I have is 'sales AT webroot.com' and their telephone number: Support & Sales: (866) 612-4227. :doubt:

Since they list Support & Sales together, I guess that email address will get to the right person too.

Strange that you don't reply back to your ticket. :(
    I already submitted several and each time I got a response the same day or the day after, as well as follow-up responses. Of course it's not always easy to provide a response to a certain problem they are trying to fix. :rolleyes:
    My pleasure Big_Al and I hope you'll get through to them. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.