Spysweeper alternatives?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Longboard, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

In view of the fact that webroot has made a schemozzle of SpySweeper V5 and many individuals are having major issues, including me, I would value any opinions or experiences re alternatives.

Already running SpyBot with Teatimer: not intended to be sole protection
    Have FF
    Bo Clean
    NAV and NIS (waiting for nod V3 ;) )

Not high end user, cant understand or cope with too many pop-ups :eek:

?Counterspy
    SuperAntispyware?
    Ewido with guard running?
    A2 with guard running?.

Anbody believe that Online Armour or Prevx (with AV and firewall) would be enough?

Thank you

2. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I used CS, SAS, Ewido and A2 and I went for SUPERantispyware (well, in fact I use the SUPERAdBlocker which has SAS inside it, not the Pro version but that's ok with me). SAS just feels best from them all and it performed very well on my system.

3. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

u mean spuer-adblocker contains the AS as welo_O
    btw,how good are both in ad-blocking and AS??
    I have decided to give my security suite testing a break and want lighter alternatives...

4. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I've been using spyware termnator for a while now. Its pretty light, only about 15 MB running actively. Has serveral different shields, very customizable, and has somekind of anti-executable HIPS type as well. Don't really know how it compares to the rest though.

dja2k

5. egghead

egghead Registered Member

Try Prevx1 (in ABC mode)

in combination with firewall,free AV (on demand) and firefox.:cool:

6. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Ad-Aware personal edition or SpyBot in combination with NOD32 AV (which has good detection rates for Ad/Spy) is all you can want. :D

7. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I'd go SUPERAntiSpyware as an alternative to Spysweeper. SAS is light, has system & browser repairs and is very good at cleaning.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

does anyone know if superantispyware is compatible with Bitdefender ?

9. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

superadblocker does include a version of superantispyware. both ondemand and realtime. its a very good ad blocker and its antispyware is good too, tho ive never had to use it.

10. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

SUPERAntiSpyware is compatible with BitDefender.

Nick Skrepetos
    SUPERAntiSpyware.com
    http://www.superantispyware.com

11. Longboard

Thankyou for suggestions

I was thinking of SAS but have just been googling around and have seen SAS cop a pasting at several sites AUMHA: vicious, Spyware warrior: vicious !! Spyware info: vicious
    Even Wilder's: 50/50 ?

There seemed to be many issues with scan time, false positives..
    The ?owner from SAS goes very close to spamming these forums.

@AUMHA he was accused of spreading malware with a previous software release which was strenously denied.

BUT: have also seen posts from happy users:

Difficult?

Might have to go see PREVX?

Damn Webroot

Thanks for suggestions.

12. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

AUMHA.net has posted libelous, slanderous and defamatory comments regarding myself, my current companies, and my previous company Panicware, Inc., which I departed nearly 3 years ago. The statements regarding Panicware installing and creating spyware, adware and malware, are 100% untrue. Panicware, nor any of my applications/companies, have EVER installed ANY 3rd party, or spyware/adware/malware application, and still do not, and never will. All of their statements are 100% untrue.

I challenged Jim, RandyK, etc. to prove that we installed spyware and they refused and stated they didn't have to prove it, they just "knew" it. They edited my posts on the forum to change the content and removed my defending statements. In my opinion, it is very bad form to edit a users posts if you are the site admin when the editing it done to not allow a user to defend false comments made about them and their company.

SUPERAntiSpyware had a few false-positives when it FIRST came out, but has had no reported false positives since. Every anti-spyware application has false positives at one time or another. False positives are a part of the life of an anti-spyware scanner - the real test is how they are dealt with, and how fast. Our turn around time is 24 hours or less.

If you view all the current threads on Wilders, CastleCops, Spyware Warrior, SpywareInfo, etc. you will see that most people consider SUPERAntiSpyware a viable alternative to other free scanners.

Here are some independent opinions about SUPERAntiSpyware for your reference.

CNET Download.com Reviews
    http://www.download.com/SUPERAntiSpyware-Free-Edition/3640-8022_4-10564983.html?sb=2&v=0

Spyware Warrior Recommended/Trustworthy Applications List
    http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-features.htm#rec

Spyware Warrior User Test Results - SAS Scored Highest
    http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.php?t=22255&highlight=superantispyware

Our approach to the scanning process is to be as thorough as possible recognizing that our scans may therefore not always be the fastest. Scanning time is determined principally by the number and size of the files. We feel scanning can and should be done when computer use is at a minimum.

Consider this - If a violent criminal was loose in your city, would you want the police to simply look in common hiding places, or search the entire city leaving no stone unturned? We choose to look everywhere to ensure your safety.

The idea is to clean the machine, not simply post a fast scan time.

Nick Skrepetos
    SUPERAntiSpyware.com

13. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Dont worry about scan time.

I havent had any since the start, but the odd one is acceptable. Theres a 'report f/p' within the program also.

I'm sure the owner of this site will let SAS.com know if theres a problem. Its always good to have the vendor posting as long as they finally direct you to their support if you have a problem.

Superadblocker is the best paid adblocker I've seen.

14. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Makes you appreciate the Wilder's mod and admin team all the more, doesn't it?

I've tried SAS, Spyware Terminator, Ewido, Ad-Aware, Spybot all of them on demand. SAS picked up a lot that Ad-Aware and Spybot missed (mostly tracking cookies, but some other items as well).
    Spyware Terminator picked up 2-3 items not found by SAS. Spyware Terminator also had a crash on a system with PG and NOD32. ST tried to install a service/driver and I blocked it, so that was most likely the cause.
    It may also have been the integrated Clam AV. I don't know for certain, but after allowing the service and deactivating the ClamAV component, it worked fine.
    Ewido picked up a couple of things that ST missed as well.
    They all performed reasonably well, no major problems.
    Haven't been using them long enough to say one is better than the other.
    If you use them on demand, you can use more than one without conflict.

15. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Nick, you are doing an excellent job! :D

Keeping to do your best... ;)

16. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Thank you for the compliment!

Nick Skrepetos
    SUPERAntiSpyware.com

17. Longboard

OK then

Thanks for helpful replies and info.

Egghead yours sounds like the go "even a Dutchman can do it" LOL :D
    And youl use Terabyte :D

I will also give the SAS a go.

@SUPERantispy; Thankyou, you are very busy and I hope the app works well.

Regards.

18. muf

muf Registered Member

AUMHA.net. WHO? Never heard of them. Already forgot them...

muf

19. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I've been using spysweeper on one of my computers for a while now with no problems. The latest version 5 has been running great, i'm impressed with the new features they have added.

20. Longboard

...??...

21. muf

muf Registered Member

Sorry Longboard but if you want to go looking you are more than welcome. I'm not. Won't go looking for sites that talk bollocks, show no respect and are inhabited by a bunch or egotistic morons. I've been active in security forums for over four years and have never even heard of this site. In these circles recommendation passes about quickly. This is how i found out about Wilders, BBR, Spyware Info, Spyware Warrior, Techguy etc. I've never heard of this other site, and from what has been posted about the comments they have been making i have no intention of going looking. Leave them to their site, their opinion's and i for one hope their site rots and dies.

muf

22. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Good grief, I don't know how good or whatever this site is, but it's been around for years.

I did a search for aumha.org on Google and got 185,000 hits. For comparison, I did a search for wilderssecurity.com, one of the best known :D security sites that exists, and got 430,000 hits.

Acadia

23. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

To all:

Spysweeper alternatives? is the tread objective and ask that We conduct the aumha matter privately or in a more appropriate forum.

Thanks,
    Bubba

24. Nevi

Nevi Registered Member

I was a little hesitant in the start.I had been using Spysweeper a long time,but when the new 5 came,it f... my computer up (high CPU on certain programs,and not to talk about the resource hogging)).So I tried a few others,namely Ewido,SAS,Adaware,and Boclean (fine little program).
    With the help of a few "testing" places,I found out,that (as far as I can see) SAS had just as good detection rate,as SS (or at least very near),and Ewido was a good on demand scanner.I dont give much for Ewidos "real time" protection,but the scanner is even very good to especially trojans and worms.
    So I feel just as good protected now,were I use SAS real time protection and scanner,and Ewido as an on demand scanner.I actually think this set up beat SS hands down.:p
    Be careful outthere...

25. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i need to test out some alternitives

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.