spysweeper 5.0 headache

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by lodore, Jul 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi
    I installed spysweeper 5.0 today and to start with it didnt go well.

I kept 4.5 spysweeper installed and told it to close it and it did and
    after the reboot it took ages to boot and spysweeper ui.exe was using 75-100 cpu and didnt stop doing this. Then it came up with a a message saying lost contact with engine. I thought good bye spysweeper forever.
    i tryed to end process but acess denied. i think spysweeper 4.5 was corrout so didnt like it. oddly i had almost the same problem with beta 3 aka lost contact with engine so went back to 4.5.

so I uninstalled it then rebooted installed it on its own and now working fine so spysweeper is staying. so i think it didnt like getting rid of spyweeper 4.5 so installing 5.0 on its own without 4.5 there must of fixed it. long day.

2. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Do you mean you install 5.0 on top of 4.5 without unstalling 4.5 first?

5.0 and 4.5 used different services for monitoring and this may cause your conflict. WRSSSDK.exe is the service running in 4.5 but in 5.0, the service component is SpySweeper.exe. They are different files. If you run them together, you will definitely have a severe hang.

3. Ngwana

Ngwana Registered Member

I installed 5 on top of 4.5 without any problems. The only 'prompt' I got is that another version was already installed and the 'installer' closed it before proceeding with the upgrade. The new version is extremely fast, it does in 4 min what the previous version used to do in 23 min.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

yes first time i did install 5.0 over the top of 4.5 and didnt go to well.

but when i went from 4.0 to 4.5 i done that and it worked fine.

since i got f-secure it had to disable the spyware communtion shield in 4.5
    now in 5.0 not only it has to disable spywarecummuncation shield it has to disable common ads shield as well.
    "may conflict software"

Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
  5. Ngwana

Ngwana Registered Member

I noticed in the other thread that you refer to F-secure (AV), hope they are not in the same computer. If that is the case the two will conflict, Spy Sweeper will have to disable its own spy communicator to instal on top of F-secure.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i know it has disabled its spyware communcation shield and for some reason also its common ads shield

7. Ngwana

Ngwana Registered Member

Sorry I did not notice that in a earlier post, you already indicated that you are aware of the conflict between F-secure and Spy Sweeper. To avoid wasting your time, Spy Sweeper always installs with Common Ads and Tracking cookies disabled. No problem there. It is the same for both version 4.5 and the new 5.

If you have not already done so, I can only 'recommend' the following steps:

1. Uninstall any version of Spy Sweeper.

2. Uninstall F-secure ( I wish you have the uninstall utility from f-secure that cleans F-secure AV traces and registry entries).

3.Run any registry cleaner.

4. Instal and update F-secure.

5. Instal the latest Spy Sweeper and update.

6. Decide which of the two ( F-secure or Spy sweeper) will monitor IE, start-up and and system changes.

7 Disable real-time Anti-spyware monitoring from F-secure and let Spy Sweeper 'shields' take care of that.

I hope this helps:D

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ok

but i got a really bad scare after a completed a scan. it says 5/5 rating possible rootkit. the security apps i got are spybot search and destroy as on demand spysweeper and f-secure internet secuirty 2006. so does anyone know if f-secure or spybot hides its processes?

and has anyone else had this found on there computer?

9. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

The only headache I had was Webroot telling me my key was expired. I had to send in a ticket last night and it was fixed when I checked my mail this morning. Good show for them. Anyway it`s all on(on demand) and working great with a faster scan now.

10. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Hi Lodore,

From the releases notes of 5.0 beta 3, it says that if Spy Sweeper v5.0 Beta is installed on a computer on which F-Secure Anti-virus is already installed, Spy Sweeper's Spy Communication Shield will be disabled by SpySweeper itself to avoid possible program conflicts and system instability. I am not sure if it has been fixed but from what you said, it seems the issue has not been easily fixed, and may be difficult to fix.

As Ngwana said, Spy Sweeper always installed with the Common Ads and Tracking cookies disabled, no matter what your computer configuration is.

If you want SpySweeper to live with F-Secure, you may try the recommendations from Ngwana. It seems you can only either use the anti-spyware function of F-Secure or those in SpySweeper to avoid conflicts.

The Keylogger shield also caused high CPU usage in the beta, but it seems it has been fixed in the final release. If you encounter high CPU usage, try disabling the Keylogger shield to see if this cures the problem.

11. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

I am not sure, but if it detects some rootkit like activity, it will report the findings. It is the job of SpySweeper. It doesn't mean that spybot and F-Secure are rootkits, but the way the perform their work might exhibit rootkit like activity. SpySweeper therefore present the findings and you make the decision as to what to do with the findings. I am glad that the rookit detection capability of Spy Sweeper is working fine.

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i read the log file and it said the log is to big to show. so im running a new scan to see what it says this time

13. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Hi lodore,

Did you check the "scan compressed" option? Try to run a scan without scanning compressed files, but with rootkit option enabled. See if this will improve the scan time. Also try to launch on your Drive C which contains your OS and your applications first. Then scan other partitions separately so that you can reduce the scan time and the scan log.

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

yes did have the compressed folder option on to be sure my pc is clean. but next time ill try it with it off

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.