spysweeper 5.0 error and high risk malware!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by lodore, Oct 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi, since i have told spy sweeper to delete atomiclog so called really high risk malware. i dont know if it was an FP or what. it is still in qurantine atm.

I was scared when it found it since it says its major high risk so anyone know anything about it?

anyway the screen shot is below so any ideas why it would come up?

thanks in advance
    lodore

Attached Files:

2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Why not report this to Webroot?

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i guess i could. but i was seeing if anyone had this problem before. and webroot take ages to reply .

ok i submited a ticket with a screenshot showing them what registry entires it removed.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2006
  4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I was thinking that on something like this,the developer may be your best shot at getting an answer/solution.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ye thanks and i just submited a ticket.

i hope they tell me if was an fp cos i dono how i got that so called high risk malware. or anyone else in my house hold.
    it was only registry entires and not anywhere else thou.

the other day i uninstalled ashampoo optimizer 2, realplayer,itunes. and this is the first scan since then. so i guess it could be fp registry entries from them

6. Ngwana

Ngwana Registered Member

Hmmmmn, I highly IMHO doubt that, Atomiclog is usually installed by a 'user' to monitor desktop and internet connections realtime. The risk is that software designed to use keylogging, webcam, screen capture or microphone to monitor and capture information may end up transmiting such captured information to a remote source. It could have been a 'drive by' download if you do not recall installing it.

It is highly likely that Atomiclog is a 'rogue' product despite that the people selling it claim it's safe. :thumbd:

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the thing is i never download it or have any reason how it could get on my pc.

and as i said it was only registry entries and no files.

am i guessing right that only registry entires and no files could cause no damage?

8. Ngwana

Ngwana Registered Member

It is highly possible it is an FP, the problem nowadays is that SS and other AS software use hueristic technology to detect 'spyware traces or signatures'. Anything that looks like a variant trace/signature of a known spyware/malware they will cry foul.

It will be helpful for us to see part of the registry entries 'wrongly' identified as Atomiclog, otherwise i hope you e-mailed the 'copy' to Webroot support. :cool:

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i attached a picture of the FP to webroot in my ticket i submitted. it was 4 registry entries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.