SpySweeper 4.5 and AV's

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Blackcat, May 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I used the trial version of SpySweeper 4.5 without any problems and therefore decided to purchase the full version. I am using SS solely as an on-demand scanner so I have disabled all features which load up on start-up. However, with this full version I am seeing my AV’s taking 60-90s longer to load on system bootup.

This is seen with both VBA32 and KAV 6 , so is unlikely to be AV specific. Uninstalled SS, and everything is back to normal again.

Webroot support suggested I use SS v 3.5 which works well without any slowdown of the AV’s loading up. BUT;

1. I am not too happy about using an older version when I presume the latest version has a number of improvements.

2. Has anyone else come across this problem with the latest version of SpySweeper and have you a different solution to the slow loading of AV’s ?

It’s not a major problem but I would prefer to use the latest version of SpySweeper.

Just heard again from support who have said that a new version is planned for end June/ beginning July which will fix a lot of the issues found with version 4.5.9 build 709. Let's hope the above is one of them!

Last edited: May 31, 2006
  2. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I`m using the SS Beta the same way you are but with no problems.

EDIT:I guess I should add.

I`m using NOD too. I guess when this is outta beta it should work OK on your machine

Attached Files:

3. Blackcat

Thanks, beetlejuice69 :thumb:

I have signed up for the beta-program.
    Did you try NOD with version 4.5, as the reply I received back seemed to apply that this was a common problem with all AV's.

4. MojoWorkin

MojoWorkin Registered Member

I've been using SS for almost three years, as the Main A/V, and tried NOD32, and had similar issues with SS 4.5: Slow start up... Guess it's the Memory/Boot scan upon startup. I believe both NOD and SS both have this feature.
    Kinda redundant, SS and ZA Pro F/W's active process analyzer. Everytime SS "sees" a change, ZA also must be pacified for allowing it to continue.
    I also tried Trojan Hunter and SS misidentified a file in TH as a threat, I contacted Webroot, sent them logs, and they supposedly fixed the error.
    I now run Edwido (beta) with no issues at all.
    Haven't tried the SS (beta), guess I have another "project" to endulge in now.

5. Blackcat

KAV 6 and SpywareSweeper were both set not to scan at bootup, yet this delay was still seen o_O

I am hoping that the beta/new version solves this minor glitch.

6. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Hmmm.... I've got SS 4.5 on 4 machines, 2 with Zone Alarm Security Suite 6 and 2 with PC-Cillin Internet Security 12, and I've seen no such delays. While they're not straight AV programs, they have AV components resident with on-demand or realtime scanning. Maybe there's a diifference ?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  7. muf

muf Registered Member

I have both Spy Sweeper and KAV 6. SS is set as on-demand only. I see no slowdown booting my pc. Do you have Spy Sweeper set to run on startup? Even though the realtime protection is disabled, do you see the Spy Sweeper icon in the sys tray on startup? I don't you see. I turned off the option to start when windows starts. Other than that, it could be that the combination of SS with another application you have is causing the slowdown. Have you tried disabling all other apps from startup other than KAV 6 and SS and then seeing if it still occurs?

muf

8. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I tried Spysweeper 5 beta also, but it slows down in the GUI maybe cause I am running OA AV+ and SocketShield. I noticed that Spysweeper uses some kind of proxy for scanning, maybe causing problems.

dja2k

9. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

Yes that was what was on before I put on the beta. I didn`t notice any problems at all and my puter worked fine. But like what was said, I only use it for on demand.

10. Blackcat

I have set it not to run at startup and no tray icon loads up.
    Yes and its not just KAV 6 specific. I have seen the same behaviour with all of my AV's.

Does anyone have a link to the latest beta? Webroot have not yet replied to my request!

11. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

I have used SS 4.X and KAV 5.X before. The slow start up of other programs when WIndows starts was attributed to the fact that SS took a considerable time in analysing the favorites if you have enabled the favorite shield. If you have many bookmarks in the favorite folder, the other programs that will be loaded at start up will take more time to load when Windows starts, because SS is using resources to analyse the favorites, and thereby affecting the startup time of other programs that load at start up. I am now pairing SS with NOD32 and have disabled SS on start up. I start SS manually after all programs have been loaded.

12. SirMalware

SirMalware Registered Member

I've noticed noticed that everytime SS 4.5 is opened, the "Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine" WRSSSDK.exe runs in the background. After running the program even just once, the service becomes Automatic by default. Stop the service and set it to Manual in Services.msc. I've noticed this speeds things up. :cool:

13. Blackcat

Problem has disappeared with SpySweeper 5 beta 2 :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.