SpySubtract Pro 2.51

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by MR KERANO, Nov 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MR KERANO

MR KERANO Guest

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Looks interesting. I used Ad-Subtract a few years ago and liked it.
    Intermute seems to be dedicated to fighting malware.

3. bch

bch Registered Member

I've had SpySubtract for a good few months now on a machine with XP Home. Its a very stable app, (no problems with SP2), so its worth giving it a trial. It didn't do overly well in Eric Howes' recent tests http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-test-guide.htm and it is apt to detect the odd "restricted item" in SpywareBlaster as a false positive when it scans the registry. On average, I've received a couple of definition updates a month.

It gives you the option of quick or full scans and has a realtime monitor called Venus Flytrap. All it says about this on the website is, "REAL-TIME PROCESS MONITORING.
    Just like anti-virus software, SpySubtract monitors your system in real-time to make sure Spyware is not running in your computer’s memory." It would be nice to have a lot more detail on this aspect.

I don't use the real-time monitor myself normally but just gave it a run. Memory usage settled at around 2mb, from an initial 40mb, and three minutes later went up to around 6mb. At this time CPU went from 0% to 30% and it repeated this at three minute intervals.

The new version of CWShredder comes with it but I understand this version deletes certain entries in the Hosts file of some.

They have just brought out a new product called BadSubtract which blocks certain websites but I haven't read up about it yet.

4. BOEING

BOEING Registered Member

I have just been introduced to SpySubtract, and being quite impressed with it during the five days of my 30 trial period I looked at the 'buy now' page and it looks very american. edit [I mean the distance not the people]

Has any one subscribed to this prog and what is the best way to pay with relative safety as there doesn't seem to be a local agent in Britain.

Regards BOEING

Last edited: Nov 20, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.