spyshelter - conflict with sandboxie/nod32?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by chrome_sturmen, Sep 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

last night i tried spyshelter free, and upon reboot, neither sandboxie nor nod32 functioned. anyone else have a similar experience/thoughts?

thanks

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Very Frequent Poster

According to THIS page of Spyshelter's website, SS-Free includes System Protection -- their HIPS module. That module will immediately spot & report unknown apps & ask you for an allow or deny etc. If you are not careful/thoughtful when replying to SS's pop-ups, then you may have inadvertently cause the blockage of these programs by SS.

Suggestion: Open SS, click "Black/White Lists" tab, & take a close look to see if your blocked apps are listed. If they are, right click them & remove the rules. (You MIGHT need to reboot after this in order to take the hex off of your blocked apps. I do not know for sure because I have never encountered this same problem.)

Also, if you are not interested in CAREFULLY replying to pop-up alerts produced by SS's HIPS, then I further suggest that you click the "Protection" Tab & turn OFF the light bulb by "System Protection."

3. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

is spyshellter free compatible with defensewall,since SS has hips ?
    if so,can i only setup antikeylogger,antiscreen capture and anticlipboard capture when installing SS free ?

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Very Frequent Poster

At various times I have run SS-Premium, with its HIPS active, alongside of DefenseWall, Online Armor, or Private FW, all 3 of which have very powerful HIPS. I never encountered any discernible conflicts or instability.

However, nowadays I usually turn-off SS's HIPS (System Protection) simply because it is re-asking all the same questions that I long ago answered for OA or PFW.

As a stand-alone HIPS, SS is growing -- VERY rapidly, I might add -- but it is still less powerful than (examples) Malware Defender, Online Armor, Private Firewall, D+, & Outpost. It is also less configurable than any of those example HIPS I have mentioned.

However, SS's HIPS is many miles better than no HIPS at all -- if & ONLY if its alerts are thoughtfully responded to, and if & ONLY if you are patiently prepared to deal with a goodly number of alerts during the first week or so of using SS (or any other HIPS, for that matter).

5. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

thanks bellgamin.,so i'll turn it off.
    just need the antikeyloggers specially the anticlipboard..heard good reviews about SS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.