Spyshelter business model

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by moontan, Sep 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moontan

moontan Registered Member

greets,

i was looking into Spyshelter Premium and found this on their site:
    -----------------------------------
    As a registered user, you will get:
    - Full license to use the software beyond the 10-day evaluation.
    - Unlimited updates to all new versions.
    - No Nag screen, No Delays on program execution.
    - Unlimited free technical support by e-mail.
    - Free reissue of the registration key if lost.
    -------------------------------------------

just a question:
    how does a company stays in business and generates revenues once they've saturated the market?

i like a good deal as much as the next person but this "Unlimited updates to all new versions" just sounds too good to be true...

2. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

I think its a very good step this company has taken not charging for updates. You are paying for the product so I think its fair enough...

3. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Business models can never please everybody....that's my opinion. For e.g.

Some people complain when it's a periodic/annual renewal form of license...
    Some people complain when it's a one-time payment form of license
    Some people complain when the price is too high for what the product/service offers
    Some people complain when the price is too low - quality assurance is being doubt upon.
    Some people complain when a product has a 'freeware' version (either for home use only or 'restricted' features) - it makes them wonder whether it's justified to pay for the product
    Some people complain when there's no freeware version (either for home use only or 'restricted' features) (either for home use only or 'restricted' features)
    Some people complain when the developer provides a free trial of XXX days
    Some people complain when the developer provides a free trial for unlimited days but with major restrictions such as 'scan only - no removal', etc.

They can do that by producing a different/newer "improved" product or by targeting a different target market. A business remains alive out of creativity and good marketing...and a few other factors to kick in such as good support, quality of product itself etc.

There'll be no doubt a period of time when a company reaches it's max point and goes tumbling down to the bottom....what differs is whether they can stand again or they simply 'give up' and let it 'die'...or let another company 'takeover' it...

Whenever you doubt or feel unease with a business model, then don't subscribe to it or make a purchase so as to avoid future dissatisfaction. However, if you still intend to "purchase" it, be sure to keep your legs on the ground - don't put too much high hopes...security software businesses don't last for a lifetime. Also reconsider the intent and scope of use of the product - how long would you use it (will you still use it if one day, product development cease??), will the product still stay 'relevant' on your setup for the period of time you intend to us it, etc...

Hope that helps.;) In any case, let me beforehand apologize if my answers wasn't relevant to your question...

4. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Well said safeguy...:thumb: :thumb:

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

safeguy is a wise boy:D

6. moontan

moontan Registered Member

tnx for your input safeguy! :)

i paid for Zemana which i think is a great product but i find the price a little steep.
    their yearly renewal price is the same as the purchase price.

Spyshelter seems like an identical product at the same price with no yearly renewal fees.
    if the company is in business 1 year from now i start "making money". ;)

then there's Trusteer Rapport which does something very similar for free.

i'll stick with Rapport for now while i evaluate it...

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

In many cases, they do NOT stay in business -- regardless of whether or not they saturate the market. The high mortality rate of security software outfits is a spectacle to behold, or haven't you noticed?

Some security software outfits simply disappear. Some sell out to a larger outfit. Some shut down, change their name, reincorporate, & start over (sort of like a Ponzi).

However, market saturation is many many light-years away for the likes of Spyshelter (SS). Further, SS doesn't use signatures so it doesn't have to have the manpower & other resources needed to keep up with every new flavor of malware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.