SpyHunter

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by cabri, May 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cabri

cabri Registered Member

I've read in this forum that SpyHunter is junk, which doesn't surprise me, because two days in a row they've opened a browser window on my PC, the first day offering a free scan, the second day claiming to have made a free scan, without my permission.

I've found their IP, and I'm going to block them from my computer. I have GRC's ID Serve which can frequently come up with IP addresses for websites, and then I can get the range from Arin. Do you know another WhoIs that consistanly can give you network ranges for specific websites? ID Serve only gives you the IP it connects to, not the whole range. And Arin may give you the range for more than that one website. o_O

I'd appreciate whatever you can tell me.

Thanks,
    Carol :)

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi cabri,

Welcome at Wilders. :)
    Could you follow the instructions posted here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=15913
    I would not carry on without investigating if they "planted" something, producing these browser windows, on your computer.

Regards,

Pieter

3. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Cabri,

Most websites will only have a single IP address - only those that receive lots of traffic (requiring extra servers) will use multiple ones. It is also possible for multiple domains to be hosted on a single server so be aware that blocking an IP address may affect other sites. Using an ad-filter (like WebWasher or Proxomitron) or a firewall which includes a web-filter (like Outpost or Kerio) would allow you to block access by domain name instead.

Two whois sites that I would recommend are DNSStuff and Network-tools.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.