SpyGuard icon in systray

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by smilinjack, May 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smilinjack

smilinjack Registered Member

I'm using XP HE. Just d/l SpyGuard. Although its box is checked in msconfig, the icon isn't appearing in the systray. SpyGuard seems to be working, though. I've had this systray problem with Pop Up Stopper also. Any suggestions.

moved to more appropriate forum==bigc

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

3. smilinjack

Thanks for your link. Not only is the SG icon not in my systray, SG is not showing in my task manager either. I tried to uninstall/reinstall through Add/Remove but was told that SG is running and that I had to click on the icon in the systray to exit! What a dilemma! :mad:

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I'm afraid that we've never seen... i.e. no processes in the task manager related to SpywareGuard and yet a warning when trying to uninstall that it is running. (There are many occurrences of the SG systray icon not displaying but the SpywareGuard processes are usually running.)

Are you sure that neither of these processes are present "Sgmain" or "Sgbhp" in the Task Manager?

The final option is to use the registry fix file (available here) and executing that, reboot your system, then try to uninstall SpywareGuard. The registry fix disables the primary resident protection following the next reboot.

5. smilinjack

Followed your link and saved sg-remove-hook.reg. Double-clicked it and rebooted. The icon has now appeared with a red "x" through it. The real-time scanning agent is not functional, but everything else is. I still can't uninstall. And, to answer your question: no, there is no entry of any kind for SG in TaskManager. I've gone into regedit just to make sure that the registry entry is gone and it is, so your shortcut worked. Any other suggestions?

6. smilinjack

More to this saga. I clicked options and opened real-time scanning agent. The red "x" disappeared. I then checked regedit and the registry entry was there. I deleted it manually and rebooted. No icon in the systray.Tried to uninstall and was told that SG is running.

7. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Okay, so you have been able to open the SG management interface, right? To quote...

If you can again open the SpywareGuard management interface, then uncheck all three protection types and use its "File" menu and choose "Exit". Not only have you disabled all the protections, but you've now forced it to exit the running processes. If you go from there to Add/Remove Programs it shouldn't be running then.

In fact, the best way to test this is: 1. run that reg file again. 2. Reboot. 3. Open SG from the now appearing X'd icon. 4. Uncheck the two remaining protections and hit Save Settings. Then after OKing that, 5. use the File menu > Exit option. 6. Then go right to Add/Remove without rebooting again and try the unistall.

8. smilinjack

I wish I had read your last message before I checked the real time scanning agent. Unfortunately, the icon hasn't reappeared, although SG is still running. Still nothing in the Task Manager either. Unless you have any other suggestions, I guess I'll have to live with it.

Another question: I also have Ad Aware and last night it found 6 miners in my cookies file. Shouldn't SG have found them?

9. smilinjack

Strange to say, the icon appeared. I followed your suggestions, unchecked everything, and was able to uninstall. Thanks for all your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.