SpyCop --> SpyReveal

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by FanJ, Mar 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

anyway is it effective againts today's malware?any links related to test reviews on spycop?thanks

2. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

As noted above we have also another thread about this in the Privacy Software forum-section:
    SpyCop is Now SpyReveal

Gerard Morentzy posted there:
    Most definitely I agree with Gerard that Spy1 (Pete, very dear old friend of mine) has always been the guy who to inform you about SpyCop!
    Until Pete is able to post here, a short posting by me.
    I had contact with the original devellopper of SpyCop, Grey McKenzie.
    As I understood the "ethics disagreement" is about this:
    Grey wants to focus on the program "SpyCop Cloak". As you know, SpyCop is a re-active program, meaning that you can only scan with it on-demand. The new "SpyCop Cloak" is a pro-active program. As of yet I have no knowledge of "SpyCop Cloak", meaning that I have not run it myself.
    Having received the email from Grey I still see contradictions about SpyCop-SpyReveal. I hope these contradictions will be solved.

3. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi jmonge,

SpyCop has always been meant to detect commercially available spy-software (think of commercial key-loggers here; for example your boss spying on you etc.). That and only that has always been its target. It has never meant to detect other things. It's a niche market.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

ah,i see but does it do a good job at what it suppose do?comercial keyloggers?thanks

5. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Thanks, FanJ....

Your post shows that, as we are often reminded, sometimes things are not always as simple as they seem. I agree...it will be good to hear from Pete.

Thanks FanJ and have a good day!

6. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Yes, it does as far as I know.

7. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi Gerard,

You're most welcome, and thanks to you as well !

In the meanwhile caspian has just posted in the other thread:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1431032&postcount=18

(If I would have known that there was already another thread about the whole topic, I would not have started this one of course).

As you wrote "Your post shows that, as we are often reminded, sometimes things are not always as simple as they seem". I agree. That pretty much describes it well ;)

8. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

From what I can gather,
    SpyReveal is the same as the old SpyCop.
    SpyCop Cloak is now a full-blown AS that runs in real-time.
    And no one has elaborated on the statement, "Due to an ethics disagreement between vendor and distributor, the product that you knew as SpyCop is now SpyReveal. New sales company, identical product."
    Have I got this right?
    That ethics disagreement language sure leaves a stone unturned, doesn't it?

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks:) is the free trial offers real time protection?thanks again

10. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi,

Surely the words "ethics disagreement" do raise questions. And it caused confusion.
    But it isn't up to us to discuss what happened in a company. That is something between the persons involved.

11. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi jmonge,

In case you are talking about SpyReveal, the answer is "no". SpyCop in the past, and SpyReveal now, do not give realtime protection. It doesn't matter whether in trial mode or in paid-for mode: there is only on-demand scanning.

As for "SpyCop Cloak": I have not yet experience with it.

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

is spycop same as SpyCop Cloak or spyreveal?thanks

13. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

No, SpyCop Cloak is a completely different program.

Please think about what you're asking. How can it be the same program as SpyCop or SpyReveal, when (as I just posted) SpyCop Cloak is meant to be there in real-time, and SpyCop/SpyReveal only on-demand.

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

does it include trial version?how long?which one is better?:)

15. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I disagree. You may not think it is worthy of discussion, but I certainly do. The term "ethics disagreement" can mean a lot of things. And many of them can impact customer/users directly and profoundly. I could rattle off a few examples, but I don't wish to start rumors. Discussing what the ethics disagreement is about is useless, however, until and unless the responsible parties shed some light on what they are talking about. FWIW, I still won't run the program until I learn more.

16. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

To put it very simply, when your own government can monitor your every keystroke, website visit and "Search" you perform via illegal means, the "threat" of keyloggers kind of shrinks into insignificance for me.

But to answer the question-at-hand - no, I haven't communicated with SpyCop/SpyReveal since the change.

Yes, I did d/l, install and run the new program (no surprises there, all seems the same). Just now checked for updates and there was a pretty big one (or at least it took a long time to load) - going to run the program again shortly to see if there's anything newly-found.

No, I don't understand why you don't have to pay for updates anymore (I happily paid for them before since I was so happy with the program).

Yes, I still do trust the program itself - I have no reason not to.

The "techs" at SpyCop/SpyReveal were usually a lot more lucid and straightforward than, perhaps, the owner himself - maybe I can find out something via that route if I ever get time to do so.

Sorry I can't tell you more. There's been a lot going on in my personal life lately - both good and bad. Handling it all, but busy, very busy..... Pete

17. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

In an odd way, I found that to be the case also, now that you mention it.

18. spyreveal

spyreveal Registered Member

Hello Guys,

I am one of the partners involved in SpyReveal. I will be handling marketing and management of the overall SpyReveal product. Our new strategy involves being more open and more community involvement in our product.

I can not specifically disclose why the security scanner is no longer involved with SpyCop. Look at this way the security scanner was a product of SpyCop's for 10 years, something happened to trigger the partnership to end.

Either way our focus is to move past our ethics disagreement with SpyCop, and rebrand as SpyReveal.

If you guys have questions, I'd love to answer. If you have any suggestions for SpyReveal, I'd love to hear them as well. We plan on doing a complete UI overhaul down the road.

Thanks,
    SpyReveal

19. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Security software developers here at Wilders all tend have their name somewhere on their profile or their signature. Would you like to introduce yourself to us?

20. spyreveal

I am the original developer for SpyCop Security Scanner now rebranded as Spy Reveal.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  21. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

At least I'm glad that we have now a name finally.

Next thing is that the admin LowWaterMark confirms that you're actually posting from spyreveal.

But now about who is the original developer of SpyCop:
    You or Grey McKenzie?

22. spyreveal

The security scanner was developed by myself, through my company KMCS Online. Grey McKenzie had an exclusive marketing contract to resell my scanner as SpyCop Security Scanner. I've recently canceled the exclusive marketing contract to SpyCop for various reasons, and hired on a new partner to help grow the product now rebranded as SpyReveal.

So the product you have all come to love is actually developed from KMCS Online, now rebranded as SpyReveal. SpyCop itself is just a marketing company...

Hope this helps. I didn't want to get into too much detail but I think this does help!

23. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

does spyreveal has a realtime shield and is there a trial version so we can tried and is it fully funtional trial or limited?thanks

i tried the other day spycop cloak:D what is the diference between spycop cloak and spyreveal?thanks again

24. spyreveal

We do not currently have a realtime shield. You can try our trial at:
    http://www.spyreveal.com/download.htm

SpyReveal Scanner (Previously known as SpyCop Scanner) - Searches your hard drive for the presence of commercial surveillance products already installed. Identifies threats by name and company and assists with proper eradication.

SpyCop Cloak - Helps prevent any spy programs from operating should they be present by intercepting driver calls. Does NOT identify the threats or remove them from your system.

25. spyreveal

Just wanted to let you guys know we've rebranded the SpyReveal website. Our website thoroughly explains what we do, and how we can protect you.

Any feedback on the website is welcome :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.