Spycar results

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by wlr3, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wlr3

wlr3 Registered Member

I'm currently evaluating NOD32 for a possible network install. I've been very impressed with the product so far.

I attempted to use the Spycar testing tools, but NOD32 allows them all to execute... Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

For those who don't know: http://www.spycar.org

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

NOD32 is not a behavior blocker so, for instance, it will not notify you if a benign application writes into the run registry key.

3. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Well that depends .. Personally I've never heard of 'Spycar' and since it's just a test tool (out of hundreds) it really shouldn't be detected since it's not a real threat...

If you want to test you can use EICAR
    X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

or the BAT TEST FILE
    @echo off
    resident.bat

Just copy the above code to a txt file and both of them should be detected ;)

4. wlr3

wlr3 Registered Member

Well, my point in trying the more unknown testing tools was to see if the heuristics would allow such things as changing the default search page or adding entries to the hosts file. I must be on the wrong track here.

I guess we still haven't reached a point in anti-* tools where one does it all. So I still need a behavior-based detection tool (such as Ad-Watch) in addition to the more "classic" virus scanners?

I didn't bother with EICAR, that has been in every signature database since the 70's hehe.

5. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

Just for fun and try the tests at the Spycar site. I'm using SpywareTerminator (freeware) and most is detected!

6. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Nice one...I didn't know it. Thx Brian. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.