Spybot1.3reports more than 500 items to inmunize even aft spywareblaster upd 06/07/04

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by haskings2000, Jun 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. haskings2000

haskings2000 Registered Member

Hello,

I have actually three questions o_O

o_O
    1.- I has to uninstall v3 to install v3.1 in order to receive the latest updates, it was not even four months since I updated to v3.0, will your team be making a change in the program so often?

2.- while uninstalling v3.0 I noted that the uninistaller left in the registry within H-key-local machine, a spyware blaster file and a settings file, I had to use an unistaller (ashampoo) just to make sure all traces of the program are gone, I will suggest checking the uninstaller sequence? Or is it something that is designed that way? , maybe to leave the protections on?

3.- I updated the Spyware blaster to the lates spyware list of 06/07/04 , also spybot v1.3, same date, in the inmunize option of spybot , it detects more than 500 items unprotected,

Why is it that they have more protection when spyware blaster is all it does? Should we also inmunize using the spybot option?

OR

such items are already protected within spyware blaster and they have variations like the virus, but a broader definition covers allo_O??

all info will be deeply appreciated

Patrick

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Version 3.1 included bug fixes for v3.0, so it was necessary to release 3.1. There will be a 3.2 in due time because there are still some issues effecting a relatively smaller number of installations (percentage-wise, that is).

You don't happen to know the exact registry key left behind, do you? Testing here it uninstalled cleanly, so it'd be nice to narrow it down some.

Actually SpywareBlaster has more immunize items than Spybot, but since both tools are developed separately, they cover different items. You will always get more coverage when running both products, in fact, Spybot recommends SpywareBlaster right in its Immunize screen:

Attached Files:

3. Erik Ayala

Erik Ayala Guest

I do believe it's about 671 items Spyware Blaster covers that Spybot doesn't and about 568 items that Spybot does and Spyware Blaster doesn't. 449 in common, I think. Then there's cookies and Restricted Sites.

4. haskings2000

haskings2000 Registered Member

Hi. :rolleyes: I thank you for your answer, and for my tardiness to post this reply.
    I was out of town
    I noted the effort you put into answering my questions. I can not thank you enough.

one last question If I may

from what I gathered you suggest to imnunize, ( i hope i wrote it well), my pc with both Spyware Blaster and Spybot S&D, But , Why the difference in so many Itemso_O??, Would you mind to elaborate a little bit moreo_O, actually I find what your team does not only fascinating, but If i were a republican, Which i am not, I would say you are fighting evil in a unique way.

1.-Why you are focusing in one items and not anotherso_O,
    and if so
    2.- Is my pc potentially unprotected by using only SpywareBlastero_Oo_O

Pd. By the way I thought about writing down the registry keys left behind only after i deleted them, sorry

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Well, if I understand what you are asking, that being why these two tools cover so many different items, and yet also have many items in common?

SpywareBlaster and Spybot's Immunize differ because they are developed and maintained by separate teams of people. However, they have many common protection items (same in both products) because some spyware out in the world is so well known that many such tools offer protection against them.

Hmm, not sure what that first question means, so I'll guess that you are asking about us focusing on SpywareBlaster here.

This is the Javacool SpywareBlaster forum, so we mainly look at and support SpywareBlaster here. But, we also recommend Spybot S&D as a complementary product in the fight against spyware.

As for 2... It's not so much that your PC is unprotected by only using one product, but since they do cover separate things, using both provides more total protection. Also, using both doesn't hurt anything because these immunize-like protections are all passive (flags set in the system registry) so they take no computer resources.

If you come across this again in the future, please do make note of them and let us know. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.