Spybot Update 10/26/2004 Problems

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by puff-m-d, Oct 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

This was originally posted HERE in the update forum by polak:

I am opening a thread here for further discussion on the topic.

2. augusta123

augusta123 Guest

I also had a problem with Spybot S&D 1.3. With Spybot S&D 1.2, I never had these problems but there were hardly any updates.

When I pressed update, a window popped up, saying, "The external update application has been corrupted. Please make sure you download the "Updater" update to replace it!"

When I pressed okay, another window popped up and said, "The external "Blindman" application has been corrupted. Please use the update function to get it again!"

Occasionally another window pops up with "Unable to load C:\Program Files\Spybot Search _Destroy\ZIPDLL.DLL - It is old or corrupt" I found the DLL in C:\Program Files\Spybot Search & Destroy\ZIPDLL.DLL through.

3. rbw91

rbw91 Registered Member

Hi there,

just updated SpyBot S&D this morning (27th Oct) and then ran a complete scan. The scan aborts (it didn't yesterday) and I get the following error message:

Error during check!: InterFun (Datei C:\WINDOWS\system.ini kann nicht geöffnet werden. The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process) ()

Congratulations!: No immediate threats were found. ()

--- Spybot - Search && Destroy version: 1.3 ---
    2003-03-16 Includes\Temporary.sbi
    2004-08-11 Includes\Cookies.sbi
    2004-10-26 Includes\Dialer.sbi
    2004-10-26 Includes\Hijackers.sbi
    2004-10-07 Includes\Keyloggers.sbi
    2004-10-26 Includes\Malware.sbi
    2004-10-05 Includes\Revision.sbi
    2004-10-25 Includes\Security.sbi
    2004-10-26 Includes\Spybots.sbi
    2004-10-26 Includes\Trojans.sbi
    2003-03-16 Includes\plugin-ignore.ini
    2004-10-21 Includes\Tracks.uti
    2004-05-12 Includes\LSP.sbi

It aborted after 22 seconds of checking.It was checking the "Interfun" pest.

Is this an error or an infection?

Can anyone help clarify this?

Thanks

-------- copied and pasted from other topic I created in software section ---------

4. rbw91

rbw91 Registered Member

I disabled Spybot to search for this "Interfun" dialler in the "ignore" section, but it has just done the same thing with the CWS variant:

Error during check!: CoolWWWSearch (Datei C:\WINDOWS\win.ini kann nicht geöffnet werden. The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process) ()

Congratulations!: No immediate threats were found. ()

Is this an error in the update or on my system?

5. rbw91

rbw91 Registered Member

Furhtermore, looking through the list of products to ignore in "settings" I seem to have some entries which Spybot is set to ignore - I have not done this as have never touched this section of S&D before.

The product set to "ignore" by default is "sidestep", a "revision".

Also "LSP.New.Net" is set to Ignore in the LSP category.

As is "New.Net" in the "spybot" category

Is this normal?

6. BelldandyShanny

BelldandyShanny Registered Member

I seem to be having the exact same problems with errors during scans, if I "ignore" whatever the error finds, then something else just pops up with another error, the whole thing is confusing to me..so any help or information would be awesome

7. BelldandyShanny

BelldandyShanny Registered Member

Mine was like that too, I don't know why...

8. bch

bch Registered Member

9. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

There is a fix for the problems you guys are having. It is a beta version (Spybot-S&D 1.3.1 TX) which was released yesterday by Safer-Networking. Today it is also available from Net-Integration and Major Geeks. You do NOT uninstall the current version of Spybot. Simply install this beta on top of the old version otherwise it may not fix the problems. After installing, run the updater and then run Spybot.

If you don't want to use beta software then you will have live with the errors until there is an update fix in a new final version. If you do install the beta you are asked to file a bug report after running the beta no matter whether the error messages stop or not.

I installed the beta last night with no problems and ran it and everything is fine. The following is a link to the official response on this issue:

http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=23977&st=15&#entry110922

10. scott lang

scott lang Registered Member

basically this is the final. it said so at the major geeks site. i just got it and installed it over the 1.3 now its 1.3.1 TX and it fixes the dso exploits after install dont forget to immunize first then run updates and check immunize again to be sure your protected. if your having major issues with 1.3 then you may have to reinstall it the install 1.3.1 over it.

11. rbw91

rbw91 Registered Member

There was an update this morning that seems to have fixed everything.

My S&D is working fine now.

12. scott lang

belldandshanny, if its still givin you problems uninstall spybot1.3 if this is the version you have, and reinstall it. then go to major geeks and get the new 1.3.1 TX version it fixes dso exploits and has a shorter scan time. after you get 1.3.1 just install over top current 1.3 when done check immunize and immunize, should have a few new things showing, then run the updates should be good to go.

13. augusta123

augusta123 Guest

It turns out I do have 1.3.1 TX and the problems were still there. Could it be due to the fact that I installed 1.3.1. TX over 1.2 instead of over 1.3?

14. scott lang

yep, thats it you have to have 1.3 then install 1.3.1 over it.

15. AUXHILLARYmikE

AUXHILLARYmikE Registered Member

I live in Crosskeys near Cardiff in Wales. United
    hello.
    AFTER IMMUNISING IN SPYBOT SEARCH AND DESTROY, I NOTICE THAT SPYTHON, (THE SYSTEM MECHANIC 5 PRO SCANNER) IMMIEDIATELY PICKS UP A DETECTION CALLED SEARCHSQUIRE. FROM WHAT I CAN GATHER THIS IS ADWARE?.
    EVEN AFTER DOWLOADING THE FINAL, FIXED TX VERSION OF SPYBOT S&D, STRAIGHT AFTER RE-BOOT THERE IT WAS "SEARCHSQUIRE".
    AFTER REMOVING SEARCHSQUIRE SOFTWARE REGISTRY ENTRIES, THE SPYTHON SHOWED CLEAN. I EVEN NOTICED THE SPEED OF MY PC IMPROVE. UNTIL I RUN SPYBOT AGAIN. ONLY NOW ALL I HAVE TO DO IS RUN SPYBOT TO AQUIRE SEARCHSQUIRE!
    ITS PUTTING ME OFF RUNNING SPYBOT AT ALL. A PROGRAM I HAVE RELIED ON FOR A LONG TIME.
    PLEASE CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN WHY THIS IS HAPPENING?
    THANKS.

16. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi AUXHILLARYmikE,

I've removed your two duplicate posts (one from here and the other from the Javacool forum.)

This seems to be a false/positive, and Spython is detecting Spybot's protection for Searchsquire that is added to the registry when you use Spybot's Immunization feature. Here is another thread at NetIntegrations that might help explain it: Searchsquire, spyware loaded during SpyBot Update.

Hope that helps,

snap

17. scott lang

i know that in the case of adaware and spybot that they will sometimes read the others backedupquarantine files of junk and report them as a false positive. best thing is have it ignore the others quarantined files. myself i have experienced no problems with that. just the dso exploits which now have gone byebye with 1.3.1tx

18. AUXHILLARYmikE

AUXHILLARYmikE Registered Member

I live in Crosskeys near Cardiff in Wales. United
    Thank You snapdragon!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.