Spybot 'unlinks' Spywareblaster

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Andyslogos, Jun 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andyslogos

Andyslogos Guest

Hi All

As the new release of Spybot no longer has an internal link to run Spywareblaster and spybot claims now to protect against over 6500 items ! (up from just over 2500) can I assume I no longer require spywareblaster as it only protects against 3603 items ?

Or is the Spybot claim a 'joke' and you two have had a 'falling out' so to speak ?

All seems a bit odd to me
    Thanks
    Andy

2. snowboard

snowboard Registered Member

I only get 3603 items blocked too, so maybe it is normal since the new version?

Regards,

snowboard

3. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

3603 Items for SpywareBlaster includes EVERYTHING, ActiveX, Cookies, and Restricted Sites. Spybot 6500 Items Total? And how many are for ActiveX items alone? I wouldn’t be so quick to ditch SpywareBlaster without first getting this information… ;)

4. dog

dog Guest

Spybot's immunization feature only does slightly over 2000 ... there is an error with version 1.4 where Spybot counts the Immunization for each user account, so if three accounts are present (this includes the default/hidden Admin account) the number presented is 6000 something, but it's just an accounting error.

5. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Estimate around 1600 ActiveX Items that SpywareBlaster protect… And I’m not sure about SpyBot, as for restricted sites, cookies … SpyBot may not include everything that SpywareBlaster contains, so probably be wise to still use the both softwares.

6. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Exactly. :)

Spybot's immunization database, as far as I know, has not undergone any significantly amazing increase - rather, it's just a counting error (on Windows 98/ME, for example, I believe Spybot 1.4 still shows 2000 some entries).

Best regards,

-Javacool

7. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

As far as I know, SWB is better in preventing the installation of ActiveX-based spyware than Spybot.
    SWB is a good piece of software, just like Spybot is.

IMO use both SWB and Spybot, TOGETHER they give strong protection.

8. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

I totally agree. I use them both together and think they complement each other very good.

I would just like to add a quick note that sometimes SBs&d will pick up false positives in the protection that SpywareBlaster adds to the registry (and also sometimes if you use a HOSTS file), but IMHO this is just a minor inonvenience that does not bother me.

9. Roker

Roker Guest

Just ran Spybot after updating and it said congratulations that I was clear.

I then imediately installed Sunbelt and ran it, which found another 12 and then another 4 after updating it.

10. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

I give no congratulations to you!;)

Maybe you think now your machine is really clear after using Sunbelt and Spybot, but when you scan again with f.e. Spysweeper and Ewido you will discover some other nasties and so on and so on......:eek:

I only want to explain with it you NEVER can be sure that your machine is infected or not.:p

Have a nice day!:D

11. Andyslogos

Andyslogos Guest

Hi All

Thanks for that re the 'counting' error, I should have guessed the new sypbot is FULL of bugs.

'Roker
    Guest Posts: n/a

Re: Spybot 'unlinks' Spywareblaster

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just ran Spybot after updating and it said congratulations that I was clear.

I then imediately installed Sunbelt and ran it, which found another 12 and then another 4 after updating it. '

Out of interest Roker where any of those 'DyFuCA' ? I ask because I have a 'clean' Pc installed Spybot(new) and it came up with something about 'don't remove advertising robots or host may not work' !!
    I immediately scanned with Adaware and the above Malware was detected.

I uninstalled Spybot, re scanned (Cleaned) re installed Spybot and back came DyFuCA, I posted on the Spybot Forum but apprently I am talking 'bull' the word 'Malware' was removed and the post was closed !

Anyway thanks for the info. glad I didn't uninstall Spywareblaster..
    All the best
    Andy

p.s. I use win 98 and it displays 6500 blocked itmes !

12. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Andy,

While it is a little late for me to place Roker's off topic\unrelated Spywareblaster post in the proper Forum....what I will ask is for you to present your same Spybot question in the proper Forum if you would Please.

Spybot related questions here---> Privacy Software

13. Roker

Roker Guest

Sorry Bubba I did not think that I was in the wrong forum, it was merely a comment on Spybot, its not that good. For Andy I did not see any 'DyFuCA' info.

Roker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.