SpyBot-Search & Destroy Tools 1.5.2.20

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Dieselman, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

2. kencat

kencat Registered Member

Yup. Loads in the about 1/4 the time (by subjective feel anyways).

Found it very strange that there was no mention that I could see on their website about this new release. The download page still only offered the old version
    It took a loong time to download the install file from majorgeeks...heavy traffic ?

This isn't a beta release is it o_O :shifty:

The installation over the old version seems to have gone very well, so we'll see how it works :D

3. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

S&D Forums; updates

4. kencat

kencat Registered Member

None of that was there when I looked......Honest :D

Thanks to Dieselman for letting us know about it though.

5. david banner

david banner Registered Member

Some say Spybot is past its prime. I did not install on new PC. Should I reconsider?

6. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

No...

7. Dieselman

I use to think that also. SuperAntiSpyware and Spybot are very good. I use to like Spyware Terminator but I had some false positives.

8. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

There was a time when Spybot S&D was the darling of AS aficionados, then it lost its glamour attributed by lacking desirably advanced improvements.

Lately I have seen some newer versions/builds rolled out , perhaps it has gathered some steam to rise again, good news indeed.

I am prepared to give it few more chances to do so, providing gurus here can come forward with some encouragement words.

Take care.

9. kencat

kencat Registered Member

I'm miles away from being a guru (just a grunt user trying to batten down the hatches so to speak), but a few months ago, my daughter's computer was infected. Spybot identified the nasties that Norton AV missed totally. Spybot was not able to remove it, but knowing what it was allowed me to find SDFix.exe that was able to. I suppose other Progs would also have picked up the malware, but Spybot helped out. Another useful tool in the arsenal perhaps?

I'm not using the full feature set of Spybot at the moment, but will explore it more as I go along. There are a lot options there to check out.

Been reading the "virtualization" thread, and it would seem that tech is the future.

10. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I too use to think Spybot was past it's prime, and then I tried Spyware Terminator, and it didn't detect anything when there was spyware on the box, and SAS detected quite a bit so I really started loosing faith in Spyware Terminator.

Is Spybot still among some of the best?

THANKS

11. Dieselman

Yes its still one of the best. Not finding spyware on your pc is a good thing but I also do not like ST anymore. Tried the latest beta and it installs a background service. I also dont like how you cannot remove ST from Windows shell.

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

My sincerest thanks for confirming suspicions i experienced not so long ago after installing a newer version of ST. It is bugged code and corrupted one of my partitions just while trying to build a HIPS database, so much thrashing i had to pull the HD plug to stop it. After that, the partition required rebuilding again with FD-ISR archives.

I dunno what Crawler is doing, but to me anyway ST seems to be regressing instead of improving.

13. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I said Spyware Terminator didn't detect anything when there was spyware on the box.

Spyware Terminator is crap, SAS, and AVG are much better.

14. appster

appster Registered Member

Anyone have any feel for how SB 'measures up' against SAS-free?

15. Dieselman

No spyware program will catch everything. Have atleast 2 spyware scanners is a good thing. I use SuperAntiSpyware and Spybot. Both only on demand.

16. jfd15

jfd15 Registered Member

the extra tools from Spybot, such as Filealayzer are interesting and might be
    worth having a look at even if you dont like their main program

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.