Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.5 Released!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Nubiatech, Sep 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nubiatech

Nubiatech Registered Member

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd15/index.html

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Good news thank you. I'll have a look :)

3. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Yes, great news indeed. I like SAS, but have a warm place under my wing and in my feathers for SpyBot too. :D :thumb:

4. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I had problems with it. No list of products it protects against. It only listed the two that I had excluded in 1.4. I was not impressed with the Fx and Opera protection and unchecked all that in immunize. I also noted that it by default has its own Hosts file checked which conflicts with HostsMan. I also noticed that TeaTimer was checked by default. I don't recall that being the case with 1.4 so I'm glad I looked all around as I never have liked TeaTimer. I never ran a full scan with it because of the no list of products!

I uninstalled 1.5 and then tried to run 1.4. The 1.5 uninstaller evidently also took pieces of 1.4 with it. So, I tried to run the 1.4 uninstaller to finish the unwanted uninstallation of 1.4 and the uninstaller said it couldn't find a necessary file so it couldn't run. I then went to Add/remove programs and was able to uninstall 1.4 from there.

I then rebooted and opened Fx and found my home page had been tampered with. It was changed from dslreports postlist page to about:blank. That had to been something to do with Spybot. I'm not going to reinstall Spybot.

5. omegakilo

omegakilo Guest

Thanks for the good news!
    Does it have a better detection rate now?

6. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

No real problems here, except that the immunization no's don't add up.

Unprotected: 0
    Immunized:66297
    Total:66433
    o_O

7. Skytrooper

Skytrooper Registered Member

On my Vista PC, I get these immunization numbers:

Protected: 66297
    Total: 66443

However, on my XP PC, the immunization numbers agree:

Protected: 66443
    Total: 66443

8. argus tuft

I'm on xp...
    It is strange that your vista installation shows the exact same numbers though.

9. btman

btman Registered Member

Detects bearshare... Don't tell me this AND Super aren't going to remove it now... Stubborn...

10. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

It works A ok with Spyware Terminator's Immunizer. No conflicts reported.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  11. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I uninstalled 1.4 to install 1.5 fresh.
    It seems that the installer won't comply with DEP in "AlwaysOn". Tried 1.4 installer and it won't work either (i did install it before changing boot.ini).

I will try installing it in OptOut, then going back. But if this is confirmed to be an issue with DEP, they should fix it imo.

Anyone registered in the Safer Networking Forums?

12. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I am registered in SN forum. And I'm having an annoying problem that I posted there w/v1.5:

Updated to 1.5. By uninstalling 1.4 1st. Didn't want the double entry in A/R. Running XP VLK SP2 32bit.

Downloaded like 10 updates. 2 remaining updates kept on failing. Dl'd the separate 2007-08-29 update package.

Checked within SSD for updates again. 1 update was left. And the Immunization datbase from 2007-07-25 returns !!! bad checksum ! error. Tried all the different dl locations. All fail.

Uninstalled & reinstalled. Same thing!

V1.5 can't download Immunization database 2007-07-25. Returns !!! bad checksum ! error. Tried all different download locations. All fail.

I need help with this. This is NOT ok.

Thanks.

13. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Just a guess, but maybe certain items in Vista don't (or can't) be protected? o_O

14. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Yikes...:eek: glad I waited. I'll stick to the old version for now. :cautious:

15. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Downloaded, installed, updated and it's worked like a charm. No mismatch in the immunisation numbers either.

16. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I'm glad to see a new version. It was always a useful tool. I will however wait a bit for the little bugs to get fixed :D .

17. argus tuft

I've got the same numbers as Skytroopers' vista installation, but on xp...

18. cheater87

No mismatch in numbers for me as well.

19. Vietnam Vet

Vietnam Vet Registered Member

@Mele20,

During the install, there is a box that is checked by default called Download Updates Immediately. If you leave that box checked it should try to download the updates during the installation, not after. The app does not come with the database already installed, neither did 1.4 version. I am on a dialup and since the update isn't done during the install, I only have two products listed(cdilla is one, don't recall the other). After the install and configuring the app the way I want it, I download the updates. Updating was no problem for me, by the way. As expected, full list now in place.

No problems for me concerning hosts file(I don't use a hosts file anyway). TeaTimer was installed by default for me as well, I do not use that either. Uncheck in the config, gone. No harm, no foul.

Concerning Spybot's immunization, I do not use that. I no longer remember the specifics, but the 1.4 version has had longstanding problems with that on 9x versions of windows, but worked properly on XP, as I recall. It was well-documented on the Net-Integration forums at the time. Also, if you use the ZonedOut app to "remove all" restricted sites while using Spybot's immunization, it was goodbye to any trusted sites as well. Without Spybot's immunization, that problem went away. Do not know whether or not the 1.5 version has the same effect.

This is just a FWIW post with my experience, not trying to sway anyone, pro or con.
    Best wishes,
    VV

20. GrailVanGogh

GrailVanGogh Registered Member

NO problems at all with the Spybot S & D update.

Installed over the beta version on my notebook and a fresh install on the desktop.

The home page(s) were not tampered with at all.

I was asked if I wanted to use the Teatimer as normal and after updating the program all was it was before which is to say working nicely.

Sorry to hear you had such issues but I am not at all surprised as you seem to have more then a few software update issues which may point to a problem with your way of doing things and not the programs fault.

21. cheater87

I experienced quite a lot of internet lag with this new version of Spybot. So I had to uninstall it. Has anyone else had this problemo_O

22. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: would the type of Internet browser have to do with this problem? I am using IE7, no change has been observed.

23. cheater87

I was using the latest version of Firefox.

24. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Spybot S&D 1.5 has a new feature for Firefox and Mozilla-immunization. An improved one for Opera.

25. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I'm seing the same Cheater. I can't unprotect firefox either.
    Scanning seems heavier, maybe it's due to improvements.
    The install package does not work under DEP "AlwaysOn", i confirmed by trying OptOut. Once installed it does run under AlwaysOn, so it's something about the installer, or Windows..

Anyone care to report these bugs (zapjb ? ), or should i email? I'm not about to register to more forums. Well if i have to :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.