Spybot SD versus Ad-aware ..

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by tuatara, Jul 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

For a number of years i am running both Spybot SD and AD-Aware on my systems.

Because.... although they have a great overlap, there are always things,
    that 1 of those 2 can find and the other can't.

But the last 6 months or so,it looks to me, that Spybot SD has totally outgrown AD-Aware.

Before.., AD-Aware sometimes found things that SSD didn't but now i am thinking about dropping AD-Aware.

I am very curious if others have noticed the same thing,
    before i deinstall AD-Aware.

For the record, i use full latest versions,update them before every scan.
    Always scan with both (after each other) BEFORE i remove spyware.

Is Ad-Aware out-of-date?

Please inform this ICT oldtimer

2. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

They're both wonderful programs. Adaware has a larger database of malware, and in general seems to detect and clean out more crap. Spybot, on the other hand, includes a bunch of handy (and relatively newbie-friendly) tools, and free resident malware protection and registry protection (teatimer). Also, what one doesn't get, the otehr usually does.

I'd say that it would be a good idea to keep them both.

3. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

yes pigman i know,as i wrote i use them for years, but what about your most recent findings,

did AD-aware found something that SSD didn't the last months?

4. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hey pigman
    i agree with you--their both great programs!! :)
    Rita

5. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Don't drop Adaware. Its strength lies in its frequent updates and large database of malware.

Spybot, on the other hand, seems to focus mainly on the nastier varieties of malware, and provides tools that can help you deal with what it doesn't detect.

Both of them I wouldn't leave home without...

6. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I agree, don't drop it. I do use Spybot as my primary scanner, but would never uninstall Ad-Aware.. besides- they're both free.

7. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hi
    i think there both great---couldnt do without either of them
    Rita

8. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

You may have to update AdAware, it stops updating if you don't have the Latest version which I think is 6.181 or 182, not sure about the number, check the website to be sure of the number

9. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

On my secondary PCs used by my wife and kid, I still find tracking cookies with Ad-Aware which Spybot doesn't notice. I think Ad-Aware detects a lot more of those more minor privacy threats.

10. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Hi, I run both and dont forget Spybot has just been upgraded and ad aware SE is coming soon.
    Gordon

11. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

What is ad aware SE?

12. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Hi, I just received the EYE [Lavasofts newsletter'] which describes the new Ad aware to be released next month called SE. If you visit their website and look at the EYE 2.1....it gives more info ie.

More News about Ad-Aware SE Soon!
    A special issue of The Eye dedicated to Ad-Aware SE will be sent out soon! Stay tuned for screenshots and information about what's new in Ad-Aware SE! And don't forget to sign up to our Release Notification mailing list. Receive information about updates, new plug-ins AND of course the release of Ad-Aware SE!

Gordon

13. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Thanks for the tip, I wans't aware a new edition was coming soon!
    THANKS

14. coppertrail

coppertrail Registered Member

Under Attack . . .

I got absolutely crushed by spy/malware last night, my own fault. Anyhow, one web page installed over 1,000 traces of spyware on my machine. Well, I saw the signs, and knew what had happened. After I was finally able to close all the pop-up pages, and before I restarted the machine, I ran 3 spyware removal Apps.

Spy Sweeper did a great job, it found and wiped over 950 traces.
    AdAware found a few more, different types
    SpyBot 1.3 found even more, and they seemed to be more deeply embedded, and it removed them all.

I would say that SpyBot 1.3 beats AdAware, and I'm not sure about the SpySweeper Match up. I would have to give SpyBot an edge as it found more after both AdAware and SpySweeper were run. Hats off to Team Spybot!!! :D

15. Ailric

Ailric Guest

16. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Yes, agree totally... I have always found AdAware found more also myself.

However, when I say more, I am personally ONLY referring to cookies. I have/am in the fortunate position of never having had *any* malware on my system apart from the test ones I know about, and interestingly enough neither SSD/AdAware find anyway [as they are packed/zipped].

Even now, since I have managed cookies set to "Ask" in Firefox, and do scans with either, nothing ever shows up apart from IE-Spyads Hosts listings in Ad-Aware which are added to the Ignore listings.

Certainly keep AdAware, I mean, what harm can it do and it takes up no room at all. ;)

TAS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.