SPYBOT S&D PROBLEM

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by myhomie, Nov 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myhomie

myhomie Registered Member

hi guys. im new here and im not sure if this is where i shloud put this post. ive read a lot of topics here and decided to put one because of a problem i recently encountered with my computer due to spybot S&D 1.4 (i think..).

after running few antispyware programs i ran SPYBOT S&D 1.4 and after it scans i closed it. i noticed that my pc slowed down. so i checked my pc performance in the task manager and it showed a lot of spikes! from 2% to 50% to 100% and back again to 0% and so on. it keeps fluctuating every 1 second or so. i restarted my computer and it still doing the spikes.

i dont know what to do! somebody pls help me!! o_O

im pretty sure that i dont have any virus or spyware that slow my pc bcoz i didnt installed anything prior to the spikes. and i regularly ran antivirus, anti trojan and diff anti spyware programs to make sure i woudnt have any problems but here it goes i had a problem on spikes and i dont have any idea whats causing this. can somebody pls help me. i cant use my computer properly. :'(

do you guys have any idea whats causing this?

here are the specs of my computer i dont know what info should i write here so il just write what i know.
    im running windows xp home edition sp2
    AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3400+
    version x86 Family 15 Model 47 Stepping 0
    current speed 2190 MHz
    cache size 512 KB
    Maximum capacity 2.00 GB
    Installed memory 1.00 GB
    Memory Slot 1 512.00 MB
    Memory Slot 2 512.00 MB

Oh God! pls send a good soul to help me! im desperate! thanks you in advance.
    Godbless Him!!
    -a guy in despair

oh im sorry, im not sure if this is the right place to post this thread.

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

It might help to list all your security programs including your Antivirus program and state which if any are running with resident protection enabled.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Microsoft antispyware will cause the spikes. I quit useing it for that reason.

4. myhomie

oh thank God for the quick reply! you guys are the best!
    ok here are the list of the security softwares im running, kaspersky antivirus ver 5 (realtime protection), outpost firewall, trojan hunter (trojan hunter guard enabled), ad-aware, spyguard,spyware blaster and spybot S&D and counter spy ver 1.5 (active protection enabled). quite a lot huh?

as i noticed the spikes turned relatively low now, but then when i opened the counterspy 1.5 it the cpu usage went crazy again flying up and down the screen! but this is the 1st time this happened, im using the CS 1.5 for 5 days now and for the past 4 days everythings normal. im not sure if its the CS of the Spybot. i really havent got a clue.

i already checked the processes and its seems normal to me, theres no foreign process and theres no process that is superhigh on its mem usage. oh..isnt this problem a common one? i dunno..im getting a bit worried now.

(should i uninstall CS and Spybot?) what do you think? maybe i could use Hijackthis log to show you guys more info bout whats happening in my computer? (i havnt used that yet but maybe il figure it out if i needed to use that). Indeed thank you so much. hope you guys can stick around til i solve what the hell is wrong with my computer. i rely on your expertise to solve my problem as i have no where to run to. Thanks again, you help is greatly appreciated. Godbless you.

5. The Hammer

They don't do Hijack this logs here, but be patient a while longer there will be people who can help once they see your post.

6. The Hammer

What version of CounterSpy do you have? The latest version apparently has some bug fixes, but I don't know if it's the source of your problem or not.

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

There's a good chance you have got caught up in an ongoing problem with CS in regards to programs similar to Spybot's Immuization feature and the Active protection of CS.

1) Did you have Spybot's Immunization or Spywareblasters Restricted Sites protection enabled before installing CounterSpy ?
    2) Just to be sure....even tho it's not listed....do you use a program called IE-Spyad ?
    3) When you look at Task Manager is the process that's spiking ~ every 3 seconds SunProtectionSe ?
    4) If you temporarily disable CS Active Protection do the spikes go away after a few seconds ?
    5) If you look in folder Documents and Settings\{user logged on}\Local Settings\Application Data\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy....what is the size of SunProtectionData.sdb

8. myhomie

thanks THE HAMMER and bigc for your replies.
    im running ver 1.5 yes, i think its the lastest version. and im getting convinced more and more that the counterspy is causing me this problems. because im running all my security programs maybe for 2 months now and they are presenting me no problems, and the CS is the lastest addition to my security programs.

thanks bubba! i think you solved my problems!
    yes i can confirm now that the SUNPROTECTSER.. is spiking every 3 seconds! :eek:
    im so relieved now.. i now know whats causing the spikes from hell!
    (Thank God) whew.
    im sorry i didnt noticed this before cause i really dont know how to look at the task manager but Now i know. if i noticed it earlier i shoulnt bother you guys.
    Yes, if i disabled the CS active protection its not spiking anymore!! yahoo! :D
    The sunprotectiondata.sdb is 337K which is very high compared to the other files that is in there.
    and yes i have the Spybot's Immunization or Spywareblasters Restricted Sites protection enabled before i installed CounterSpy. does this have any effect why my active protection is spiking? do you know how to fix this?

a million thanks for your help! i dont know how to repay you guys. ;)

do you guys have any recommendation on whats the best thing that i should do? should i uninstall it and replace it with a new anti-spyware? (any recommendations? maybe MS antispy?) or should i just keep the Active protection unabled?

and 1 more thing, what can you say about my security programs? is it enough just for a homeuser like me?

Thanks again,could now express my appreciation for your kind help.
    by the way, you guys are doing a great job of welcoming new people like me. i really feel welcomed and i think i will hang around here, to learn more and hopefully help other people too in the future.

Godbless you guys. thanks again Bubba. you guys the best. :D

9. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Make sure that you have "Protection Against Network Attacks" disabled in Kaspersky if you are running a software firewall like Outpost.

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=897

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Almost all the other files you saw in that folder will never get to the size of SunProtectionData.sdb and it's size under normal conditions should be in the 20 to 40 KB in size. I'll attempt to briefly explain what is happening.

If you open the CounterSpy program and look at the Active Protection section you'll notice 32 monitors and one of those is Internet Explorer Trusted Sites. Those 32 monitors consist of registry locations and certain key files found on your hard drive. Internet Explorer Trusted Sites function in life is to monitor any additions to Internet Explorers Trusted Zone and alert you if any site URL's are being added. It's important for further explanation to know where these sites are added in the registry:
    • HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains

That is also the location where sites contained in Spywareblaster and Spybot's Restricted Sites protection database are placed.

When you installed CounterSpy one of the many things it does is create the SunProtectionData.sdb file and contained inside that file are any\all items contained in the registry\file locations it monitors. One of those registry locations is the Domains key mentioned above. Unfortunatley what it does on initial install is make note of ALL URL's
    contained in the Domains key....whether they are Trusted or Restricted Sites. In your case you had Spybot and Spywareblasters Restricted Sites database populated inside that Domains key. That is why your file is abnormally large and why you also see the abnormal spikes.

I have said that to say this....you can indeed fix that problem if you wish.

1) Disable CS Active Protection

or

2) Disable CS Active Protection Internet Explorer Trusted Sites monitoring point only.

or

3) Temporarily remove Spybot's Immunization protection and Spywareblasters Restricted Sites protection. Then right click the CS icon in the systray and shutdown Counterspy. Then go back to the Documents and Settings\{user logged on}\Local Settings\Application Data\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy and delete the SunProtectionData.sdb file. Then re-open CounterSpy and it will re-build it's SunProtectionData.sdb file but minus all the eroneous Restricted Sites. Once that is accomplished you can then re-enable Spybot and Spywareblasters protection.

Even with all that explanation and the apperance of jumping thru hoops I still recommend you keep CounterSpy. It is a very good program and eventually they will take care of this issue given adequate time or I will re-consider with a heavy heart not recommending the program.

11. myhomie

G1111 thanks for that info i didnt know that before. its very helpful. thanks again.

Bubba, thanks for explaining that to me i now know whats going on in my computer. ive tried step no.2 and step no.3 for several times,but the sunprotectiondata. keeps returning to 377K. and when i enabled the active protection its still spiking but not as high as before may be up to 20% only. so i just sticked with step no.1 i really like CounterSpy too,and i hope that they'll fix is ASAP so that i can get the most out of it. once again,i thank you for all the helpful bits you guys gave me. it is deeply appreciated. Godbles y'all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.