Spybot S&D do I still need it

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by little eagle, Jan 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. little eagle

little eagle Registered Member

:DI installed spybot which at the time seamed very nessary and did a lot of good but after installing spywearblaster spybot s&d doesn't ever show find anything bad :doubt: :D which is good I guess o_O

2. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Hi Little Eagle ;)

I am a great fan of SpywareBlaster too but I really like to have a fallback to be able to ensure that nothing slips through. I would recommend that you continue to spotcheck with Spybot S&D

Hopefully more opinions will follow :)

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I use both Spybot and Spyware Blaster.
    Having both programs is a layered defense IMO. ;)

4. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I have them both plus a few more. ;)

Like Tester said, a layered defence is what it is all about. :)

snowbound

5. spydespiser

spydespiser Registered Member

Hi little Eagle :)

I find it preferable like the others to layer as opposed to relying on 1 or 2 products,that way even though we think we got everything covered we can never be to sure,at least that way if u start experiencing strange/odd behaviour u have some on demand scanners to help eliminate some possibilities

SpyBot also my first choice for scan(it pretty fast compred to some)after i run shredder/compare a HJT against a clean log
    And it also has an immunize feature ;)

I personally wouldnt be without mine ;)

Layers!

SpyD :cool:

6. little eagle

:eek: but ad-aware would not be nessary if I have spybot right. In POSTING POLICY under hijack cleaning . Step 1 was to run one of these. Are they the same or do the same thing :oops: o_Owhat is a llama

7. spydespiser

Basically they both do similar job but the databases are slightly different,i.e Spybot may miss 1 or 2 that Adaware picks up n vice versa.
    hence
    >"Having run one of the two programs above, or both if you like, your system should now be clean of many of the most well known hijackers and spyware items which should make reviewing your log easier."

No single piece of security software is going to keep you completely free of malware/scumware as new types and variants are being written daily to try bypass the existing software avilable for our protection,which is why it is better to have at least 1 type of software for each type of the bad guys i.e AV,AT,Anti spyware/adware,

thats why we call it "layering", its all down to personal preference/habits at the end of the day, many would say you dont need half of these apps, many would say you need em all, just use what you need for your surfing/internet requirements,

i used to scan on demand with all scanners once a week when i first got on net and found allsorts,but by learning more about security in general, learning more about my software and practicing safe hex i only need to scan when i find strange happenings(which is getting rarer n rarer)

Its all thx to the Proggies i use n the Advice/help i get ere at wilders ;)

8. little eagle

:mad:about a month after I got this pc I'm 99% sure i got hit by a hacker :eek:beforeI could hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete :( it was to late :'(

9. little eagle

finishing last post :oops:whatnow

10. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Not sure what you mean by "what now"

Were you wanting advice on a current possible hack incident? (If so we will split the thread and name it appropriately so it will get the appropriate attention) It seemed like you were just making an observation about a previous hack.

Or am I just confused? o_O

11. little eagle

:)yes I dont know how to cut and paste my log I got from hijack i save it to a file but I dont know how to send it.

12. spydespiser

Hi little eagle

open ur saved file,Ctrl- A to select all,right click,select copy, goto Adware,spyware,hijack forum,start a thread,right click then paste contents in box

13. little eagle

tks spyD got it there :D

14. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

little eagle - Something you've got to remember here is that both SBS&D and the freeware version of AA are both re-active programs - they don't tell you anything until after something has happened - that's why it's important to activate the "Immunize" feature in SBS&D (at the very least - SpywareBlaster ( http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html ) is currently at 1073 items and much more comprehensive in its' protection from a pro-active point-of-view, which is why you need SWB, also).

In addition to this (if you're using IE), I consider it an absolute must to set your "Restricted" Zone absolutely tight and then to use (and keep updated religiously) IE-Spyad ( http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/resource.htm ), because this, too, is another pro-active measure you can take to keep from getting infected with anything in the first place.

IOW, SBS&D and the freeware version of AA are not going to keep you out of trouble (generally-speaking) - they just help to identify and (hopefully) fix things after you're up to your butt in alligators.

That is the situation you're trying to avoid by use of the other programs mentioned (along with applying all patches and service packs to both your browser and OS, to eliminate problems on that end).

Something that wasn't really touched on in the remarks about "layered defense" above was this: Comparitive scans using SBS&D and AA (or whatever programs involved) are not only more thorough - they give you a chance to stop and think before you fix/allow something to be changed or deleted by either program when anything is found.

It's the same concept that's behind having more than one AV or AT - you cross-check with the back-up program/scan before blindly accepting the results of either to avoid screwing things up by "fixing" something (or allowing it to be 'fixed"/deleted/quarantined by a program).

This is especially important if you've got a false positive from one program and everything's hunky-dory when you run the second program - do not fix/change/delete anything until you verify that you actually have a problem (generally, both SBS&D are pretty solid on their detection and cleaning routines - however, there have been glaring exceptions to this involving both programs.

This is especially true if the "alert/alarm" results immediately after an update to whatever program you're using for detection.

I'd rather see someone submit a full-blown HJT log without letting a program "fix" anything (if the above condition applies) rather than see them lose (possibly) Internet-connectivity, critical system files, or have programs that are now crippled for no reason.

(But that's just me). Hope some of this helped. Pete

15. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Case in point: SBS&D's latest beta update goes nutso, results-wise. Pete takes a deep breath, lets SBS&D "fix" absolutley nothing, closes it and opens, updates and scans with AA freeware version - nothing new or unusual, results-wise, there.

Pete goes to the applicable forum and reads this thread

http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=9877. Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.