Spybot False Positive?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Rainwalker, Sep 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Is this another false positive?
    'Windows Security Internet Explorer'

2. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

Check for the information. I think it means you have IE configured in an insecure way.

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Without a portion of what the scan report is actually showing would be somewhat tough to advise but would it happen to be something similar to the below scan result ?

If so....take a look at your Internet Explorer settings under....Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab > Security section. See if any of the 3 below items are checked....in particular Allow active content to run in files on My Computer.
    • Allow active content from CDs to run on My Computer
    • Allow active content to run in files on My Computer
    • Allow software to run or install even if the signature is invalid
    If it's checked....un-check that item and see if it still shows up in a new scan.

Bubba

4. Rainwalker

Greetings Bubba........when i did the scan and saw the results the first time, i had Spybot fix the problem. Later, after rebooting, i ran another spybot scan and it saw the problem again. Again i had Spybot fix the problem. It was at this point that i posted. After reading your post i checked IE and all was unchecked as you suggested. I then ran a third Spybot scan and it found nothing. All rather curious as i know that i have always had said boxes unchecked...........anywho, thanks for responding.

5. The Saintlygent

The Saintlygent Registered Member

Rainwalker,
    On reading your post I felt i needed to mention about a similar problem with shows up after Spybot scan. ' windows antivirus notification disable dword=0'

this keeps coming up almost every time i run the spybot scan...

cheers
    The Saintlygent

6. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

It means you've disabled Windows Security Center notifying you about your anti-virus status.

Either enable the notification, or right click the entry and select "Exclude from future scans".

This is not malware, just a setting you don't have configured to Spybot's liking.

7. Rainwalker

Thanks all ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.