spyblaster information

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Nan, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nan

Nan Registered Member

Hi, could someone tell me where I can find more information on how spyblaster works. I have just downloaded it but have no idea if it is working. Does it have a log file, do I have to do anything when I connect to the Internet. I would like to know how to operate it and exactly what it does. I have a shortcut on desktop and when I go into it, it starts up, is this right.As you can see I am no expert lol. Any information would be appreciated.
    Regards
    Nan o_O

2. Erik Ayala

Erik Ayala Guest

Alright kid let me help you out. First off you want to make sure the program is up to date so when you open the program at the very bottom it says "Download Latest Protection Updates." Then click "Enable Protection" for either Internet Explorer or Restricted Sites or whatever combination you want. Then close the program. That's it. It uses kill-bits in the Windows registry to block those "bad" programs from installing on your machine so it does NOT have to remain open for it to work. It won't give you any confirmation as to whether it's working or not my best advice is to download a spyware cleaner such as Spybot or Ad-Aware and run it periodically to see if it's keeping your system clean of malicious programs.

3. Nan

Nan Registered Member

Hi Erik, thank you for helping me out. Do I have to click on the Desktop Icon to start spyblaster everytime I go on the Internet? (2) My daughter downloaded spyblaster she has (Windows 98se) and got cranky because her computer was so slow after downloading, was having problems, I to have Windows 98se but have not had problems. I suppose because you cannot see anything what spyblaster is doing, you wonder if it is working, does it not show you anything at all?.I have spybot 1.2. scan all the time. Hope to hear from you again and thank you.
    Regards
    Nan

4. Erik Ayala

Erik Ayala Guest

No problem Nan! You only have to open the program when you're online to update it Javacool recommends once a week to check for updates. If there are new "includes" for bad programs make sure to protect from those too and then just exit the program until next week when you check for new updates again. Once you're protected exit the program so it won't take up your valuable RAM. ;) My guess about your daughter is that she probably had some spyware on her system that was disabled when Spyware Blaster was applied. And that's why she's having problems. I'm hoping running a spyware cleaner such as Spybot or Ad-aware should fix the problem. A tip on the confirmation: Spybot also has an "immunity" feature, click the button and scroll down to where it says "...bad download blocker for Internet Explorer" click the drop down menu and select "display dialog when blocking". Since it uses the same kill-bit technology as Spyware Blaster you'll know Spyware Blaster works too. When you're surfing it'll bring up a window saying it blocked something. You may not see it however depending on where you surf the net because Spybot only blocks 506 programs as compared to Spyware Blaster's 1200+. It's also a luck issue whether one of those 506 programs will attempt to board your machine because I haven't seen that pop up in a while. Also I set it to "block silently" cuz it was getting annoying clicking "ok" all the time. ;) But if one of those programs ever tries to get into your machine the window will inform you that it was blocked.

5. Nan

Nan Registered Member

hi thank you so much for your help she has ran spy bot and for the past 3 times of running it is has came up no threats at all BUT she is getting alot (everyday) error script on page do you want to continue running this script what does this mean and what is it she has now unistalled spy blaster but it is still the same with script on page windows freezing all the time on her she has a alot of space but very little ram and she dose think there is something in her computer but nothing seems to be picking it up what do you think

6. Erik Ayala

Erik Ayala Guest

No, no, no, no, no. You never want to uninstall Spyware Blaster! What I'm thinking is she probably has some spyware BHOs (Browser Helper Objects) such as toolbars in Internet Explorer. If these "bad" BHOs are disabled with the Spyware Blaster kill-bits then yea she's gonna have a problem cuz IE (Internet Explorer) is depending on them to run properly. She needs to get rid of them. That way IE won't try to use them. Try running Ad-aware 6. Ad-aware actually caught a few more threats than Spybot did on my system. Yea it does sound like there's a program trying to bring up popups that use script. You may want to make sure you have a Java program properly installed. Java is what handles those "scripts". I remember someone telling me about www.sunjava.com. Or you may want to download the newest version of the Microsoft VM (Virtual Machine) which also handles Java. Obviously that can be found at www.microsoft.com.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.